Oil Change with Pump

ncmf

Rocker66

As above

+1   That's what the sump plug is there for.

Tip - use a six-sided hexagon socket to avoid rounding off the plug. Twelve-point sockets tend to round off the corners. Don't try to use an open ended spanner under any circumstances.

• Like 2

it seems that workshops are using extractor pumps down the dipstick now mainly because of cars having under engine covers i have just used an extractor on my vw jetta it made an easy job and i did not have to worry about stripping sump plug overtightening and leaks. i was thinking of doing the same on the honda i can't see any reason not to, it extracts all the oil out.

Sump plug will also allow any rubbish to come out as well.  Sludge, muck, Metal fillings on magnetic sump plug end.

My thoughts exactly, to my mind a pump will not get into all the  nooks and crannies of your sump.

I agree, but Its the way things are going though, some cars now come without sump plugs.  I usually try and drain oil in the evening, when the drips have stopped then screw the sump plug in a few threads and leave overnight, quite a bit extra comes out in the morning.

Sump plug will also allow any rubbish to come out as well.  Sludge, muck, Metal fillings on magnetic sump plug end.

My thoughts exactly, to my mind a pump will not get into all the  nooks and crannies of your sump.

That is true, but after you've warmed up for a couple of minutes, most of this should be in suspension.

Perhaps the pump could be used every other change, and review when I see what else comes out of the sump plug.

My concern with the pump would be that it leaves a large amount of oil in the sump, I wouldn't mind a little bit, I think for the first time I will also drain using the plug after pumping and see what is left in term of volume and objects.  I may even treat you to a pic of my dirty oil.

I think for the first time I will also drain using the plug after pumping and see what is left in term of volume and objects. 

Good idea.

Guest chosenone

Bingo - plus as mentioned above - you won't get it all with an extractor.   But to me it seems easier and cleaner to just pull the plug.  If you use a torque wrench how can you strip it and the drain plug washers cost pennies purchased in bulk. 

Cross threading comes from being a dunder head - and they will cross thread the dip stick too.  :flowers:

Edited by chosenone

500mm was left in the sump. I would like to try again as I dont think I found the bottom with the tube this time.

The stuff that was left didn't appear to have much objects but I will need to see next time before abandoning the sump plug.

The messiest but was removing the old filter.

• 3 months later...
TheEnglishman

Sump plugs are to be used to provide that entertaining moment when you are pouring the new oil in and are wondering why your boots are getting wet.

Or is that just me?

• Like 1
TheEnglishman

Bloody iPhones double posting

Edited by TheEnglishman

It should be in you owners' manual. 30 Nm/22 lbft