Help-front brake lever, just remove it??

Guest chickenflaps

Guest chickenflaps

Hey folks, a bit of advice please.  My front brake lever is a bit dry and juddery, probably as a result of all the commutes in the pouring rain.  It only needs to be removed and greased I'm sure.  My question:  can I just remove it, regrease and replace it or will I have issues with the hydraulics in any way?

Please let me have your thoughts - cheers Chickenflaps

Guest billc700s

Simple job just undo the screw and nut remove clean and replace but do not overtighten on re-assembly ( the screw has a shoulder to help prevent over tightening ) use a silicon spray or teflon spray as this leaves a lubricant on the metal surfaces when you put it back together. The screw head is soft as s**te so be careful not to damage it when you're doing the job, a screwdriver and 10mm spanner plus lube is all you need.

• Like 1
Mike5100

I just replaced the front brake lever that came as standard with my new 750X and was surprised to see what looked like rust on the rotating spindle and inside the tube/guide.  I have one of them expensive fancy black anodised ones from China (£17), so I sprayed white chain grease on it before reassembly - which is a 2 minute job by the way Neil.

As well as looking good the Chinese levers have a 6 stage adjustability and even the new Honda adjustable one on the 750 doesn't feel as nice.

Mike

Derek_Mac

I just replaced the front brake lever that came as standard with my new 750X and was surprised to see what looked like rust on the rotating spindle and inside the tube/guide.  I have one of them expensive fancy black anodised ones from China (£17), so I sprayed white chain grease on it before reassembly - which is a 2 minute job by the way Neil.

As well as looking good the Chinese levers have a 6 stage adjustability and even the new Honda adjustable one on the 750 doesn't feel as nice.

Mike

Wemoto sell OEM adjustable front brake levers in black or silver which'll fit an NC700 for £16.20 delivered, they're probably Chinese as well.

Mike5100

From the high quality of the Chinese sets I have bought (got some for a Ninja 250R a couple of yeasr ago) - I reckon they are coming out of the same factory that supply western companies who then sell them for £100 plus.  My £17 got me a brake and a clutch -which I don't need-- all for £17.50 inc delivery from Hong Kong.

Mike

Guest chickenflaps

Simple job just undo the screw and nut remove clean and replace but do not overtighten on re-assembly ( the screw has a shoulder to help prevent over tightening ) use a silicon spray or teflon spray as this leaves a lubricant on the metal surfaces when you put it back together. The screw head is soft as s**te so be careful not to damage it when you're doing the job, a screwdriver and 10mm spanner plus lube is all you need.

Sounds like a fine plan - thanks

Guest NCXrookie

Plan to replace mine.  The OEM is poor quality and although it does the job, cosmetically it looks cheap and nasty .  Considering one of the selling points is only one lever on the DCT, Honda have let themselves down.

Mike5100

From the high quality of the Chinese sets I have bought (got some for a Ninja 250R a couple of yeasr ago) - I reckon they are coming out of the same factory that supply western companies who then sell them for £100 plus.  My £17 got me a brake and a clutch -which I don't need-- all for £17.50 inc delivery from Hong Kong.

Mike

Sorry guys - when I looked back at my purchases it seems I pad 39 euros for the pair of levers for the NC and $49 for the pair for the ninja 250.  You can get them cheaper but I don't know whether they are worse quality than the ones I got.

Mike

Mike5100

Plan to replace mine.  The OEM is poor quality and although it does the job, cosmetically it looks cheap and nasty .  Considering one of the selling points is only one lever on the DCT, Honda have let themselves down.

The 750 has better quality levers.  

I can see a clutch lever mountain building up as we dct owners all buy pairs of levers from Hong Kong  :D

Mike

• Like 1
Guest chickenflaps

Sounds like a fine plan - thanks

worked like a dream, the lever is a smooth as a smooth thing now.  thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nc700sam

believe it or not i came out to my NC this morning and started her up. i went inside to get a towel to dry her off when i came out to find the rear light surprisingly bright.

turns out the front brake lever was basically stuck on, so i shall be performing this maintenance tonight. glad i found this post!

• 3 weeks later...
Mike5100

I have put a neat anodised black one on, but want to keep the OEM to re-fit when I trade the bike in.

Mike

glencoeman

Not sure about the NC750 but an adjustable front brake lever from a CBF500/600 is a perfect fit for the NC700.

Guest PCBlock

Not sure about the NC750 but an adjustable front brake lever from a CBF500/600 is a perfect fit for the NC700.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Derek_Mac

Wemoto do an adjustable OEM front lever, one for a 1999 CB 600 F fits the master cylinder.

I got a black one for £13.20 about 6 months ago after bending the original one.

Guest PCBlock

Wemoto do an adjustable OEM front lever, one for a 1999 CB 600 F fits the master cylinder.

I got a black one for £13.20 about 6 months ago after bending the original one.

Thanks Derek, the Honda NC750 OEM lever is about £34.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an LSL lever for €99 (80 or so after rebate). It's similar to the Chinese ones, but people have compared them, and they are of visibly higher quality. They may come out of the same factory, but they're made to higher standards.

More importantly, they have what we call a "general permission for operation" and are not illegal to use on public roads.. unlike the China stuff.