DCT foot shift kit

Guest Marcusrm

Guest Marcusrm

Has anyone fitted the DCT foot shift kit?

I am trying to find out exactly how it functions.

E,g, Can you use the foot shift to put the bike into gear from neutral, and if so what mode does it come up in?

Using the hand paddle shift levers (on my bike at least, 700S) I can't take the bike out of neutral or put it into neutral.

But I do know that you can select neutral from the foot shift, so there is some difference in functionality from the paddle shifts

The ideal would be that the foot shift takes the bike out of neutral and puts the bike back into whatever mode was last selected, D, S or manual.

Cheers guys.

I know you can put it into gear from neutral, but I think you have to use the button to flick between D and S mode.

Yes you can, only when you're stopped exactly like the 'N-D' switch. When you're riding it's working like the +/- buttons. To change the mode you've to use the 'N-D' switch. The default is always the 'D' mode.

SHOULD OF GOT THE MANUAL BOX it's got a gear foot shifter fitted as standard. :D

Edited by PNE
  • Like 2

SHOULD OF GOT THE MANUAL BOX it's got a gear foot shifter fitted as standard. :D

But it does not have seamless changes and a dual clutch! plus you can stall it.

I did not know you could put the bike into Drive from Neutral using the foot shifter so that is nice and an unexpected bonus. Can you also put it back into Neutral when stopped?

We collect our new 750 bike with foot shifter this weekend.

IMHO, the foot lever is a waste of money... +/- and N-D buttons are more than OK.

IMHO, the foot lever is a waste of money... +/- and N-D buttons are more than OK.

You may be right but the NC750 DCT is my wifes bike which I like getting a shot of and I find the buttons hard to get used to. I think given time you would get used to it like when Honda moved the indicators but since I'm still using a manual bike I find my foot wanting to change gear rather than my thinger and thumb in manual mode.

The other thing was when we were talking about ordering the new bike with the dealer I did say fit a foot changer and we'll take the bike :D

Mike5100

You may be right but the NC750 DCT is my wifes bike which I like getting a shot of and I find the buttons hard to get used to. I think given time you would get used to it like when Honda moved the indicators but since I'm still using a manual bike I find my foot wanting to change gear rather than my thinger and thumb in manual mode.

The other thing was when we were talking about ordering the new bike with the dealer I did say fit a foot changer and we'll take the bike :D

I think I agree with George, Stelios.  The reason I never use my bike in Manual mode is that I hit the rev limiter all the time.  When I rode the manual-only 750X a couple of weeks ago I only hit it a couple of times, and I think it's because the foot pedal is more natural.  I guess I could get used to the buttons in manual mode but it would take quite a while.  I did look at getting the pedal fitted on my 700X DCT because I thought it would probably improve the resale chances of the bike, but in the end I thought it was too pricey.

Mike

If you're swapping bikes, it's natural to have this problem, but no more than 30'. The brain easily adapts to the new reality! I had a similar problem with NC & MP3!

sorry quote didn't work.

Edited by PNE

I did not know you could put the bike into Drive from Neutral using the foot shifter so that is nice and an unexpected bonus. Can you also put it back into Neutral when stopped?

Not me mate never stalled it once yet and that's nearly two years on the 700 and now have the 750 both manual gear boxes and I wouldn't have it any other way. I also do my own seamless gear shifting (well they seem seamless to me).

Not me mate never stalled it once yet and that's nearly two years on the 700 and now have the 750 both manual gear boxes and I wouldn't have it any other way. I also do my own seamless gear shifting (well they seem seamless to me).

If you have control of the clutch it can be stalled where as the DCT cannot, just like an auto car.

Personally I don't have a NC yet alone a DCT but I do enjoy taking my wife's for a spin and if I still commuted to work on a bike it would be a 750 DCT for sure, it's a great bike.

I have said it before the NC as a 1 only bike does not give me my biking fix but I will take the DCT VFR12 out for a spin sometime this year and who nows maybe when it comes to replacing it I may be a convert because I can see the advantages :D

Mike5100

I noticed two reports this week that was IMHO unjustly critical of Honda and their DCT.  One compared a vfr1200 dct with Yamaha's semi auto tourer and seemed to be saying they preferred the yamaha system because it left more to the rider, when in truth they could have ridden the VFR1200 DCT in manual mode and it would have been identical to the Yamaha's clutchless gear changes.

And a second review raved about Kawasaki's 1000SX sports tourer even though it has a range of only 167 miles which the reviewer seemed to be impressed by.  Everybody and his dog has condemned the VFR1200 BECAUSE it's only got a range of about that.

Mike

If you have control of the clutch it can be stalled where as the DCT cannot, just like an auto car.

Personally I don't have a NC yet alone a DCT but I do enjoy taking my wife's for a spin and if I still commuted to work on a bike it would be a 750 DCT for sure, it's a great bike.

I have said it before the NC as a 1 only bike does not give me my biking fix but I will take the DCT VFR12 out for a spin sometime this year and who nows maybe when it comes to replacing it I may be a convert because I can see the advantages :D

Now there you go see the DCT would never give me my biking fix weather its a VFR or NC, I feel I have to have my manual clutch and gear box. That's just my take on it, I can see the benefits of the DCT but its just not for me.

Each to their own. The whole things a pointless argument anyway and all you'll do is go round in circles getting nowhere. Some people prefer manual, some DCT - END of argument.

Edited by wozza
  • Like 1
Mike5100

Each to their own. The whole things a pointless argument anyway and all you'll do is go round in circles getting nowhere. Some people prefer manual, some DCT - END of argument.

yes guys - let's count ourselves lucky as we are the only motorbike manufacturer forum that can usefully have this argument.   :D

Mike

• Like 1

yes guys - let's count ourselves lucky as we are the only motorbike manufacturer forum that can usefully have this argument. :D

Mike

True....lol :)

Guest EasyTiger

Personally I don't have a NC yet alone a DCT but I do enjoy taking my wife's for a spin and if I still commuted to work on a bike it would be a 750 DCT for sure, it's a great bike.

Now there you go see the DCT would never give me my biking fix weather its a VFR or NC, I feel I have to have my manual clutch and gear box. That's just my take on it, I can see the benefits of the DCT but its just not for me.

@PNE. How do your three posts help the OP with his question?

I am interested in learning about the foot shifter on the DCT.

Edited by EasyTiger
Guest Marcusrm

As the Original Poster, I like my S DCT! I just thought the foot shifter might be fun. If it works as I hope it would be similar to, or probably better than, a quick shifter fitted to a conventional bike.

I want to find out the answer to...

When slipped into neutral using the foot shift, does it remember the last selected mode?

So, if I put in in manual, it remains in manual until I select otherwise. Ditto for D and S modes.

Can anyone answer this?

Well the foot changer does more than I expected putting the bike in and out of neutral and I'm glad we managed to get it fitted as part of the deal since we were thinking of fitting it to the old 700 at a cost of £300 :D

Mike5100

George - is it easy to fit if you buy it yourself ?

Mike

Guest Marcusrm

Mike, I bought the workshop manual. It doesn't look like the installation is difficult, but there is an initialisation procedure that has to followed.

Switching on the ignition, moving the lever one way, observing status on the display, moving it the other way, observing status etc. and checking initialisation complete.

Marcus

Derek_Mac

George - is it easy to fit if you buy it yourself ?

Mike

Mike, have a look at posts 15 and 16 in this thread.