brake fluid level

Mike5100

Mike5100

I can't see a meniscus through the little window.  I'm slightly worried that it may be so low that I can't see it.  If so would that mean I would have no front brake?  It's possible that it is too full for the level to be visible, and in fact I noticed that there was fluid on the top of the housing around the screws after the first service at 600 miles.

Front brake seems Ok although the lever does come further back towards the bars than it used to on the 700.

Mike

Mike5100

can forget this question chaps, because by wiggling the bike around I eventually got part of the meniscus to appear, so there's plenty of fluid in there.  

Mike

• Like 1

"Generally, the term 'meniscus' often refers to the cartilage of the knee, either to the lateral and medial menisci. Both are cartilaginous tissues that provide structural integrity to the knee when it undergoes tension and torsion."

If you can see bits of knee in your brake fluid, I think its time you changed it.......

Mike5100

Ah well - the front brake is good but it's not good enough to have me go over the handlebars so probably not my cartilage in there   :D

Mike

it takes surprisingly little oil to drastically reduce braking....after fully cleaning my brakes and disc  i think the braking is perfect...the combinedness preventing over diving....i can do most my braking on foot pedal only its so effective....on good warm dry surfaces try a fast emergency stop...its unbelievable..you may need strong arms to avoid flying off the front !. As the brake pads wear you will see the fluid level drop.

Sometimes just cracking the bleed valves to release a tiny air bubble can make big difference too.