spongy brakes

Guest nc700sam

Guest nc700sam

hi chaps,

new to the forum. i have a 2013 NC700X and she gets used everyday for work. at first the brakes were really not too bad, lacked a bit of bite/feel compared to me track bike (obviously), but they have since got really spongy. its not like its a high mileage issue, the bikes only done 4000 miles so far.

is it a simple case of bleeding with the ABS linked brakes, or is it more complicated than this?

any help is much appreciated. i am a fairly competent mechanic, i do all my own work on my ZX6R.

many thanks, sam.

Rocker66

Hi Sam Welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't help with your question but I'm sure that there are those on here that will

Hi Sam,

do the brakes go firmer if you pump the brake pedal/lever?

If so that sounds like air in the system, as it's still under warranty I'd get it back to a Honda dealer for investigation as you shouldn't be getting air in the system.

Guest nc700sam

it does a little, yes. they seem to get really poor under heavy braking. i shall phone honda up today and see what they say.

thanks mate.

Guest SimonR

Hi Sam, welcome

The back brake is in my view less effective than on many bikes. Personally I feel I have to give the pedal a heaftier shove than you'd expect. So it may just be this. Whilst its unlikely that a relatively new bike would need the brakes bleeding, it would be worth getting it checked just in case.

The rear brake may be like this because of the C-ABS, in that some braking force is diverted to the front too. This alters the feel somewhat - in common with most linked braked bikes - and can mean a slightly less stable feeling than normal in filtering/slow speed work, until you get used to it, as well as a change in the feel of the back brake. Personally I don't like nor want linked brakes but, just like the indicator and horn switches being inverted, Honda know best!  In fact BMW also "know best" and had their ridiculous indicator switch set up for some years recently, and they can't both know best surely!?  :D  The NC700X salesman told me (quite seriously) that the horn switch was relocated so you could "reach it better with a winter glove on". Ha! Quite the opposite in fact, its more difficult. He must have though I was born yesterday (not sure why, I don't look it...)!

Good luck with the bike - cheers

Simon

Mike5100

there is a thread on this forum derived from a long thread on the american forum which describes a back brake manufacturing fault with SOME NC700 bikes.  It looks like some had the calliper retaining plate drilled out of square which puts the pads out of line with the disk rotor meaning your back brake is just about non existent at first but gets better as it wears in.  This described my brakes on my 700X perfectly.  My new 750X has had an excellent back brake right from the off - in fact I can almost do an emergency stop with it, so if your back brake is not good take a look at the mounting point for the calliper.

Mike

Guest nc700sam

alright, lovely, thanks for the responses guys.

its booked in with john banks main dealer for this friday, so hopefully they will sort it out under warranty.

the front seems to be weak under moderate to hard use, it also has very little feel and almost feels like the disc is warped at low speed, it judders (and this isnt the ABS, i know what that feels like!)

the rear is poor also. i shall see what they say at the shop. i would happily bleed it myself, but if its under warranty i dont want to piss about when someone else can do it for free!!!

thanks for the advice fellas!

Mike5100

alright, lovely, thanks for the responses guys.

its booked in with john banks main dealer for this friday, so hopefully they will sort it out under warranty.

the front seems to be weak under moderate to hard use, it also has very little feel and almost feels like the disc is warped at low speed, it judders (and this isnt the ABS, i know what that feels like!)

the rear is poor also. i shall see what they say at the shop. i would happily bleed it myself, but if its under warranty i dont want to piss about when someone else can do it for free!!!

thanks for the advice fellas!

Bear in mind you do get a bit of a judder from the DCT as you brake hard - the gearbox is changing down all the time whereas on a normal bike, you may have pulled in the clutch at the same time as the hardish braking. (depends how your ride)

Mike