Squeaky front suspension driving me nuts

Guest Allrover

Guest Allrover

I got my nc700x two weeeks ago, it's a year old, been a demo bike though so only done 600 miles.

When riding slow i.e my entire commute in to Manchester, there are really annoying squeak from the front suspension on every single tiny bump in the road. It's almost continuous in places, like a family of mice have set up home in the front of my bike.

Does any one else get this?

Can anyone suggest what I could look at lubricating on the bike to address it?

I'm handy enough, but not on bikes, so if anyone could point me in the right direction, I could have a go.

I would take it straight back to the dealer and get them to sort it.

Guest Allrover

Ah right. I guess I just assumed something like this wouldn't be a warranty issue, just a characteristic of the bike. That's why I was interested to see if anyone else's bike did it.

Derek_Mac

It's not the mudguard needing tightened up is it?

Guest Allrover

Ah right. I wondered if this would be a warranty issue or just a characteristic of the bike. That's why I was interested to see if anyone else's bike did it.

Defender

I would look at the front mudguard first too, after that the front faring panels and then the forks.

But as has already been said, go back to the dealer, it shouldn't be like that.

Guest Allrover

Awesome, thanks. Sounds like it's just my bike then. I'll bounce the front end With it parked up and see if I can find anything obvious. If not, sounds like a trip to the dealer. Thanks for the sanity check all.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest szucsi

Hi, Allrover!

I have noticed this a few days back. I heard that noise too. But when I got off the bike I noticed the seat is moving a bit, and if I push it down it moves the lid of the not tank. The squeak comes from around the locking mechanism of the lid. The suspension was not moving, so it couldn't come from there.

Now that I know this, it does not annoy me that much. I will spray some WD-40 there, I hope this will fix it.

Edited by szucsi
Guest Steve700x

Hi Chris

I have the same bike, new last June, and and no, it's never squeaked. Finding annoying squeaks and rattles is a complete pain on cars and bikes, so if you just got it as an ex demo, definitely pop it back and let them find it.

Hope you manage to sort it out. After all, one of the great things about the NC is that it doesn't seem to have any inherent annoying faults that we all have to live with, or at least nothing that the fine members of this forum have reported.

Steve

Guest Southerner

My 750X has an occassional annoying squeak from the front end. I've no idea where it's coming from.

In all fairness, it's only evident at slow speeds on a rough road and with the throttle off or at very low revs. It's not a problem.

I'll mention it at the 600 mile service week after next.

Guest szucsi

Today as I rode, I heard that noise again. While the bike was moving, I pushed down the lid and the noise stopped. So, at least for me, the source of the squeaking is definitely the lid of my fake tank (or some plastic around it).

Guest Southerner

Today as I rode, I heard that noise again. While the bike was moving, I pushed down the lid and the noise stopped. So, at least for me, the source of the squeaking is definitely the lid of my fake tank (or some plastic around it).

I'll try that next time I'm out.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest szucsi

I'll try that next time I'm out.

Hi Southerner,

I have read your service story and You wrote:

1. Occassional annoying squeak from front end somewhere.

Solved - 'Frunk' lid adjusted. No more squeak.

So as I thought it isn't the suspension, but the lid. Glad its sorted now!