NC750X screen & handguard combinations?

Rogue

At the moment I still have the stock Honda screen fitted to my NC750XA and I'm about to have Acerbis Dual Road Handguards fitted.

Has anybody got any experience of these handguards fitted to NC750X together with any of the taller/larger touring screens and if so which ones.

I'm undecided yet, but was toying with the idea of buying the Puig Touring screen (with or without additional visor) but I saw in some of the forum posts that there may be an issue with clearance on full lock with this combination of handguard & screen.

I don't have any chance to change handguards now as Acerbis Dual Roads have been ordered and are going to be fitted tomorrow, but I haven't ordered a screen yet so would be interested in any comments about any aftermarket screens together with these handguards.

I guess this may also be a good place for general comments on all handguard/screen combinations that do or don't work in others experience.

Cheers

Guest Murcuseo

I own a 700x together with the Dual Road Handguards and a Puig Touring Screen(with clip on visor).

Assuming that the measurements are all the same on the 750, there is no fouling whatsoever from the handguards but the brake reservoir fouls the edge of the screen. But only slightly.

Over time it will rub the paint off the reservoir but won't damage it.

I used the widest bar end spacers that were supplied with the handguards.

I'm 6'3 and found the Puig screen to be too short so purchased the clip on deflector. It certainly reduced the head buffeting but there's still a fair amount of wind noise.

Anyone under 6 feet will feel the real benefits of the Puig screen.

I own a 700x together with the Dual Road Handguards and a Puig Touring Screen(with clip on visor).

Assuming that the measurements are all the same on the 750, there is no fouling whatsoever from the handguards but the brake reservoir fouls the edge of the screen. But only slightly.

Over time it will rub the paint off the reservoir but won't damage it.

I used the widest bar end spacers that were supplied with the handguards.

I'm 6'3 and found the Puig screen to be too short so purchased the clip on deflector. It certainly reduced the head buffeting but there's still a fair amount of wind noise.

Anyone under 6 feet will feel the real benefits of the Puig screen.

Murcuseo , thanks for the comments.

I had been assuming that measurements & fittings were the same for NC700X & NX750X, but perhaps I should try and check this. I'll ask main dealer's opinion when I'm in there tomorrow

So all in all do you think fitting taller screen was worth the effort/cost for you? I'm 6' 1" and I'm still undecided whether to make do with standard screen or go for a taller one

Guest Murcuseo

So all in all do you think fitting taller screen was worth the effort/cost for you? I'm 6' 1" and I'm still undecided whether to make do with standard screen or go for a taller one

Definitely worth it, personally speaking.

I was suffering badly with wrist and arm fatigue due to my chest acting like a sail at anything above 50mph.

The stock screen was directing the air directly on to the middle of my chest.

Having to grip the bars at higher speeds was making longer journeys uncomfortable and the front end twitchy.

That has been solved by having a taller screen and it has removed any buffeting I was experiencing around the torso, neck and head.

The other thing I did was buy a set of mounting plates from Dale on the other NC forum. The rubber mounts that are provided didn't seem that reliable.

Unfortunately with the NC finding the right screen is trial and error. Not unless you do plenty of research before you buy.

Definitely worth it, personally speaking.

I was suffering badly with wrist and arm fatigue due to my chest acting like a sail at anything above 50mph.

The stock screen was directing the air directly on to the middle of my chest.

Having to grip the bars at higher speeds was making longer journeys uncomfortable and the front end twitchy.

That has been solved by having a taller screen and it has removed any buffeting I was experiencing around the torso, neck and head.

The other thing I did was buy a set of mounting plates from Dale on the other NC forum. The rubber mounts that are provided didn't seem that reliable.

Unfortunately with the NC finding the right screen is trial and error. Not unless you do plenty of research before you buy.

Yeah, reading these and other forums it does seem that screen choice is a bit of a black art and very prone to differences in personal preferences so no one size fits all.

Unfortunately though it's not very likely that I could get the opportunity to try before I buy, so I'll probably hold off a little while longer and then make a decision.

The Puig is still the favourite contender in my books (I like the looks more than some of the other "rounder" screens). Thanks again for all your comments Murcuseo, as if nothing else it has convinced me that if/when I do go ahead I should splash out the extra to go with the additional visor to provide some more versatility in options to customise positioning for best compromise between buffeting, & wind noise, etc

Guest Murcuseo

Not a problem.

If/when you hear back from the dealers about the measurements and fitting, regarding the cross over of accessories from the 700 to the 750

you should post up and let people know in the relevant thread.

I'm sure there are some others that would be interested. ;)

Best of luck.

Guest bonekicker

Don't forget about the handle bar weights, when the dealers fit the acerbis handguards they take out the original Honda ones inside bars plus don't refit the black weghts on ends, this is one of the causes of the handlebars vibrating!

I removed my dealer Acerbis Handguards and after measuring inside handlebars the clutch side/left hand side the original in handle bar weight would fit in complete and still allow the Acerbis weight and fastener in as well.

The brake side/right hand needed about 1" taking off lenght for some reason. I took the metal clips and rubbers off original weights if you try and refit with these on then try and pull back out they will come off inside bars.

Before refitting wrap insulating tape around shaft to stop vibrating, don't put too much on or too little keep trying fit,with the treaded end towards you leave a long screw in so you can pull out if needed, then when confident push all the way in,  Refit Acerbis hand guards.

I think the weight of original ones plus Acerbis equals out and allows for the still missing bar end weights.

I hope this make some sort of sence if you agree use the idea if not disregard, if you can explain any better then please do.

Also the other end of Acerbis Handguards are loose when riding they vibrate and look silly, I fastened the clutch side by drilling 2 small hole carefully in plastic guard big enough for thin zip tie and fastened around clutch cable, the brake side I made a bracket to fasten onto lever retaining bolt and again used zip tie.

I can take some pics if you want. it stops them flaping about, there again if you can come up with MK2 let us know.

Bonekicker, I'm afraid you have completely misjudged both my technical ability and willingness to actually get of my Ar$£ and actually do something. I definitely fall into the category of rider who prefers the riding to the actual maintenance side of things unfortunately 

Handguards (and LEDs) are being fitted by dealer at the 600 mile service. They would have been fitted when I bought it, that is if I had remembered to tell the dealer more than about 5 days before I collected it that I actually wanted them or course!

Seriously though thanks for the advise/info. I'll see what dealer says and how the bars feel when I get the bike back and then decide if I need to implement your "fix". (note to self: Must remember to get original bar weights back from dealer!)

Not a problem.

If/when you hear back from the dealers about the measurements and fitting, regarding the cross over of accessories from the 700 to the 750

you should post up and let people know in the relevant thread.

I'm sure there are some others that would be interested. ;)

Best of luck.

Dropped bike off for 600 mile service this morning. Looks like they still haven't got the handguards I wanted in stock though, or they forgot to order them. Either way it looks like they won't be getting fitted today.

Bonekicker, looks like there is a chance I may be having to risk my own mechanical skills and trying to follow your guidelines after all.

I asked dealer about NC700X v NC750X bars, screens, etc and he was of the opinion that they were exactly the same

• 4 months later...
Guest Estonia700xRider

I have a givi touring screen and SW-motech Kobra handguards and they don't really seem to be matching with each other. I tried both positions on the windscreen, low and further, high and closer to the bars but I'm still not able to turn the bars fully out for a U turn.
The handguards are touching the windscreen even when in the low and far position - instead of a turning radius of 3m, I'm making a turn in maybe 4m.
That just sucks. I should probably raise the bar a little so it would work.
But I want my windscreen to be positioned in the high and close position so that option is only possible without the handguards.

lipsee

Well ordered the Acerbis Dual road Handguards but when they arrived I did not like the design,,so went for the more pricey Barkbuster storms..They are alot bigger so offer more protection in the rain.I also had fitted the Honda screen..personnely I think the combination looks great.but in practice the Honda screen is abit of a let down being very noisey...

Guest bonekicker

That's the problem time after time we all buy stuff, put on bike, test it, don't like, can't return it, put in cupboard with all the rest of useless items, the other day we had a big tidy up, and got all my bike invoices together and in the last 2 years excluding basic bike cost the total came to £4,390.00p, and most of this went to Honda--- I did not show the wife or this would have happend post-2426-0-21162800-1407667784.gif

Edited by bonekicker
  • 7 months later...

I took delivery of my first new bike ever, two weeks ago. Having spent some time researching the subject over the past two years, I decided on the nc750x. In theory the bike is perfect for me.... however I have also run foul of the buffeting and noise problem that many seem to report on this model. I had a spin last Saturday around the beautiful Mourne mountains, a lovely day, if a bit cold. I have a Puig touring screen fitted (the standard one in my opinion is criminally inadequate) with the bolt on extender. I had earplugs in but still cam home with a bad case of tinnitus as a result of the noise from the screen. I have tried every position for the extender with little success, no matter where the screen is or where I put my head I still get excessive noise around my helmet. The Puig screen has eliminated the buffeting to my chest that the standard screen caused. I have seen solutions discussed in other parts of this forum where it was suggested that a Givi airflow screen will offer more comfort. I cant find the start of that thread, probably because I'm new to this fourm business, but would love to find out more. For example can this Airflow screen be added to my existing Puig screen or must I buy a model specific Givi touring screen to go with it? I have yet to tackle the problem of hand guards and won't until I get the screen sorted out.

fred_jb

I took delivery of my first new bike ever, two weeks ago. Having spent some time researching the subject over the past two years, I decided on the nc750x. In theory the bike is perfect for me.... however I have also run foul of the buffeting and noise problem that many seem to report on this model. I had a spin last Saturday around the beautiful Mourne mountains, a lovely day, if a bit cold. I have a Puig touring screen fitted (the standard one in my opinion is criminally inadequate) with the bolt on extender. I had earplugs in but still cam home with a bad case of tinnitus as a result of the noise from the screen. I have tried every position for the extender with little success, no matter where the screen is or where I put my head I still get excessive noise around my helmet. The Puig screen has eliminated the buffeting to my chest that the standard screen caused. I have seen solutions discussed in other parts of this forum where it was suggested that a Givi airflow screen will offer more comfort. I cant find the start of that thread, probably because I'm new to this fourm business, but would love to find out more. For example can this Airflow screen be added to my existing Puig screen or must I buy a model specific Givi touring screen to go with it? I have yet to tackle the problem of hand guards and won't until I get the screen sorted out.

Hi John,

Here is one thread about the AirFlow which I fitted.  http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/8181-finally-fitted-my-givi-airflow-and-painted-the-belly-pan-black/

Other people have fitted them too.   In theory you could add this to any screen, but I'm not sure about the Puig, because I believe it has ribbed sections for strengthening, and these may get in the way of fitting the AirFlow latches which are spaced roughly 185mm apart - exact distance depends on screen curvature.

Fred 

Edited by fred_jb
Longtimerider

I have SW-Motech Handguards and an MRS screen with adjustable deflector and they work well together after shaving off enough of the screen sides to allow full lock. I had to remove about half an inch to get clearance. I am happy with the protection from the wind, i am 6' 2".

Regards,

Longtimerider.

Fred,

You are right. The Puig screen has flared ribs which are 100mm apart at the bottom and 185mm at the top. 

regards

J