Help: I need to fix the bar end

Guest Stephen S

Guest Stephen S

I dropped the bike a few days ago. Stationary. No real damage done, except the retaining collar inside the handlebar sheared. So the bar end is just hanging in there by friction.

The manual says "remove the grips to reveal a hole, and release the catch that is lodged there, and remove the collar". Removing the grip looks hard. There are some YouTube clips that help.

But the real bugger is: they are heated grips and I might damage them.

Has anyone removed Honda heated grips? Any tips?

(Leave it to the dealer is perhaps a good tip :-(. )

Thanks all.

Rocker66

Leaving it to the dealer seems a good idea. Could be cheaper in the long run

Guest Steve700x

Annoying I'm sure and you're not alone in dropping a stationary bike, most have done it at some point. Doing anything to the bar end with heated grips on is a really difficult thing to do and depending on which grips you have, damage to them during removal is either likely or inevitable. Take the hit and ask the dealer to sort it out, I suspect you'll have a hell of a job getting the grip off anyway without ripping it.

Guest simon

There is a solution that dissolves the adhesive (my garage is in turmoil as I've just moved, otherwise I'd send you a photo) but it's mentioned in the heated grips installation manual. You just spray it on and you might be able to wiggle-off the grips. Let me know how you get on - I need the bar end weights removed and the dealer (Letchworth) refused to do it as I have heated grips fitted....

Guest bonekicker

Iv'e just changed my heated grips and was very careful not to damage will removing, but no way the grips are glued solid, I ended up with a small joiners chisel to remove them, so you will just have to bite the bullet and buy new set ( Sorry)

I replaced one of my (oxford) heated grips and there was no way it was coming out in one piece.

Guest Stephen S

Steve. Which grips do you have on now? There's a big difference between them in cost!

Standard issue Honda heated grips. I believe. I bought the bike second-hand.

I have seen the for sale on fleabay for about £115.

Guest Steve700x

Your Honda dealer will fit new oxford grips for £100 or so and I've always found those to be very effective if you need to replace them.

Sorry you've had this hassle, but I guess everyone has had a minor slip/drop of some sort and sometimes it can cost, just pot luck really. Hope you get it sorted. Steve

bikerbampi

Is it the throttle or clutch side? 

If it's the throttle side you can slide the throttle collar in far enough towards the steering head without taking the grip off by slackening the clamp for the mirror/brake etc. and shifting the starter/kill switch.  The throtle collar will then go far enough to expose the hole with the spring clip.  :thumbsup: