Clutch Cable

ncmf

Im currently broken down on the M1, waiting for the AA. Clutch cable snapped when I was in lane 3.

Will any motorcycle shop have a cable that will fit?

I am just wondering if i should get recovered to one as they are all shut now so can't ask. Are they universal?

Thanks

Derek_Mac

Im currently broken down on the M1, waiting for the AA. Clutch cable snapped when I was in lane 3.

Will any motorcycle shop have a cable that will fit?

I am just wondering if i should get recovered to one as they are all shut now so can't ask. Are they universal?

Thanks

You can get universal clutch cables, Venhill is one brand available.

Thanks for confirming. I guess there is a good chance someone will have one in the morning. Is it simple to replace?

That's a bummer stuck on the M1...:(. Yep replacing a clutch cable isn't a difficult job. I remember when my shite BMW K100RS clutch cable snapped, the RAC managed to fix up a temporary cable to allow me to get on my way. 

Rocker66

Not like the old days when we would have spare cables taped to our old Brit bikes and carry solderless nipples

embee

What's a clutch cable?

(only joking! :D  :devil:  )

Not like the old days when we would have spare cables taped to our old Brit bikes and carry solderless nipples

Sounds painful

I collected a clutch cable on Tuesday from Chiswick Honda.  They had 2 in stock, everyone else had to order.  I have ordered one from Lings as well, as a spare could be useful.

I have fitted it, but the biting point is very far out on the clutch lever.  The adjustment is already all the way out.  Any ideas what might be wrong, or how I could get it back to normal?  Cheers

Derek_Mac

The clutch cable can be adjusted at both ends, have a look in your handbook.

The exact page  might depend on you having an S or an X, but it's somewhere near page 87.

Edited by Derek_Mac

I don't know.  It had become detached nearest the nipple at the lever end.  I had adjusted it a few time before this happened, so I should have been more vigilant to these signs.  I now have a spare but I doubt I will make use of it as I have never heard of one failing before.

It is now setup correctly.  I had to adjust both ends to the fullest extent.

• Like 1
Dave H

I still do.  Plus a spare brake cable, battery etc etc for my 60 year old Sunbeam.

Rocker66

I still do.  Plus a spare brake cable, battery etc etc for my 60 year old Sunbeam.

Is that an S7 or S8?

aye sounds like a dodgy one from the start..thats the place they go if the nipple is put on poorly/cable cut badly, and having to adjust it is a sign of something up.

thanks for reply

• 2 weeks later...
Dave H

Is that an S7 or S8?

S8

• 4 months later...

I think the clutch cable is going on my second bike now as it's needing a lot of adjustment.

Guest andrem

I just have to ask, how did you get the bike to stop "safely" with no clutch? The M1 is a motorway with several lanes I assume...did you stall the bike? Just wondering how you managed to get out of it with no more damage :)