Rear wheel

Guest Mashie1964

Guest Mashie1964

Today, on the commute home, my chain came off. I managed to pull over without any problems and reseat the chain. Check on the axle bolts showed the bolts were still tight, but the chain was very, very slack. I only tightened it three weeks ago & a week after, I did maintenance on the chain & all was ok.

I managed to ride it home ok & once in the garage. Put the bike up on the rear wheel paddock stand to check the slack. I couldn't see any major problems other than a very slack chain. A quick tightening of the chain & I thought all was well. However, when I spun the rear wheel, something, somewhere is grabbing the wheel/tyre as she spins freely, then stops at a set point. I checked the balance and all is ok, so something somewhere may be seized or broken. Any ideas what I should try? Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

I'd love to sort it myself, before resorting to the Dealership, but that may not be possible. The chain was so slack it took six turns of the tightening nut before I got to a satisfactory tension.

bikerbampi

I take it the wheel and chain alignment is correct, and that the correct spacers are in place between the swingarm and axle?

The other option is a collapsed wheel bearing, but I would have thought that you would most certainly have noticed free play or roughness whilst adjusting the chain.

Guest Mashie1964

Wheel is aligned ok and chain fine. I'm wondering if there's a wheel bearing problem as I heared a pop about a mile before the chain came off. Spacers should be ok, but haven't checked.

bikerbampi

Might also be worth checking front and back sprockets for damage and tightness.

Guest Mashie1964

The bike is in the dealership. The chain is shot, so that's getting replaced. They'll check the chaffing tomorrow. Hoping it's just an alignment thing.