engine vibrations

Guest nc700sam

Guest nc700sam

Hi chaps,

my NC700X is 1 year old with 4750-odd miles on it, and i have only so far managed 2 longish runs, each about 60 miles each way.

i have noticed that travelling at about 80mph on the motorways, after about 20 minutes my hands (right mainly) start to feel numb.

the engine isnt particularly vibey, but it feels like ive been using a hard riveter at work, my hands feel numb like the nerves are being vibrated slightly. its not horrendous, but its fairly unpleasant.

has anyone else had this problem?

thanks in advance.

bikerbampi

I haven't had a problem with this, I wonder is it to do with the holding slightly tighter because of holding the throttle open.

Mike5100

I have had this problem on the 750 and never noticed it on the 700.  But I have taken the diplomatically offered advice on here and now ride the bike quite differently.  I lean forwards most of the time so that no weight is taken on my wrists and conversely I am not hanging on the handlebars either.  In other words I adjust body position to maintain the lightest of touches through my hands to the bars.  This has meant -particularly in the twisties - making sure I grip the bike with my knees during deceleration, and it has meant that I have had to adjust the mirror positions to accomodate the greater range of body positions that I now assume.

I must say that I am quite enjoying re-learning how to ride a bike and so far it's solved all the problems with my hands.

Mike

• Like 1
Guest nc700sam

Ok, many thanks for that info chaps.

I think i shall just put up with it for the moment, I dont really want to learn to ride again :)

maybe a call to Honda's warranty department is in order? if this appears to just be a one off on a 700?

• 3 weeks later...

I had exactly the same problem riding my Deauville. Although I wasn't aware of any vibrations, my right hand would become numb. When the front tyre was due for changing I went to my usual Fitter and the tyre was obviously balanced. To my surprise I experienced no more numbness in the hands.

I can only assume that the problem was caused by the tyre being slightly out of balance and the Fitter had got the balancing 'spot on' on this particular occasion.  In future I'll ask the Fitter to get the wheel as 'true' as possible.

Interesting thread thank you gents..

Guest nc700sam

Ah this is interesting.

I'm glad you told me that, because I find I also get loads and loads of road noise from the front end. Maybe if there is a slight imbalance, it's causing the excessive road noise and the bar vibrations? I'm still on the stock Bridgestone BT023 tyres and they are good, but like I say the front seems to make one hell of a racket. I shall investigate.

Scootabout

Ah this is interesting.

I'm glad you told me that, because I find I also get loads and loads of road noise from the front end. Maybe if there is a slight imbalance, it's causing the excessive road noise and the bar vibrations? I'm still on the stock Bridgestone BT023 tyres and they are good, but like I say the front seems to make one hell of a racket. I shall investigate.

I think you'll find there are other threads about tyre noise - from the Bridgestones. It seems to be normal for them.

Guest nc700sam

Ah ok thanks for that, I thought it was just mine!

I read on another post it might also be something possibly to do with an eccentric rear sprocket. People reckon that they have been made off-centre and that changing it might also help. That and a replacement chain. I'm not gonna throw money at trying to get rid of the vibrations, but when things need changing I will monitor it's progress.