Puncture Safe - Does it work??

Guest jdearauj

Guest jdearauj

So I have now had two punctures in the last three months on my commute into work.

Has anybody ever heard of Puncture Safe? http://www.puncturesafe.com/

As I commute into London every week day and with the roads getting worse. I really need to take money and time saving steps to help manage this issue.

My local bike garage quoted me £8 a tyre which seems like a cheap fix for something that sounds like a very simple product.

What you think?

Guest Lenp

A Big Yes,I have had it in lots of my bikes and works, before it was called puncture seal, it came from the states as ultra seal, only people who don't like it, is the people who renew your tyres,on one of my old tyres when he renewed it showed me three bits of wire which were old nails with the heads broken off , and I did not know. My local rep for puncture safe charged the same I gave him £20 ...Ride Safe.

Rev Ken

It's like Marmite - some swear by it, others swear at it. It works, but as shown above you can pick up debris that penetrates the tyre and unless you are scrupulously inspecting your tyre regularly you can end up with a weakened structure where water gets in and attacks the ply or cords. Personally I prefer Marmite, but not keen on 'Puncture Safe'!

Guest Stephen S

I recently emailed the company asking for my nearest stockist. No reply yet.

They are based in Exeter, only 25 short bikemiles from here.

I may call them.

My concern would be that punctures would self-seal and be a bigger hazard.

I have had two punctures in a couple of months and now got a new Michelin Pilot on rear, which is great.

Guest jdearauj

Thanks for the input.

At this point I think it will be worth a punt. As with most things in life, some love it and others hate it. 

Guest nc700

I received a recommendation for http://okosales.co.uk/ and I fitted it - it was fine but never got round to installing it again on my subsequent tyres.

It is against the laws of physics to get a puncture in your front tyre so you only have to treat the rear tyre ;) that helps alleviate potential handling issues.

I  commute and ride in and around london all week and decided to use puncturesafe. The reason being a lot of filtering and riding in the areas where all the muc collects.  I  have not had any vibration or problems   with the ride and being only a commuter would rather try it than not. Always check the tyre when you can though is the advice, whether puncture safe  or not.

Guest billc700s

I have used puncture safe ( formally Ultraseal ) for the past 15+ years in all my cars and bikes and touch wood have never had to deal with a puncture, even on the track leading to the sailing club which has claimed many a motor due to the flint and scalpings surface. If you do the job yourself remember to read the instructions for using the bike just after fitting as it will feel strange for a few hundred yards until it has coated the inner tyre surface. My 700s was done from new, I bought the kit online and it only took 30mins to do both tyres as it is easier with a centerstand if you look at www.puncturesafe.com  ( our market - high speed ) it will give you all the information you need to make up your own mind to use it or not. 

TheEnglishman

This goo stuff is ok but you can't repair the tyre afterwards, assuming it's repairable.  So I carry a repair kit and a pile of CO2 cartridges. 

I've had loads of punctures through the years and had a fair few repaired.  And no repair has ever failed.

Call me cheap.....

Guest EasyTiger

This goo stuff is ok but you can't repair the tyre afterwards, assuming it's repairable.  So I carry a repair kit and a pile of CO2 cartridges. 

I've had loads of punctures through the years and had a fair few repaired.  And no repair has ever failed.

Call me cheap.....

Why can you not repair it? The makers of Goop claim you can wash it off. Is it because strings or mushrooms won't adhere if it's in?

TheEnglishman

Is it because strings or mushrooms won't adhere if it's in?

This.  You can't get all the goo off the inside of the cut so the glue on the mushroom isn't reliable.  Well, I guess you could try but I wouldn't ride it after.  YMMV  :fear:

The other thing (less likely, but you never know) is that if you get a long/big(I've had 25mm copper pipe through the rear tyre) thing inside the tyre carcass it may play havoc with the internals without you ever knowing if the goo seals the hole as the object will stay in position.

So for me, I'll use goo on tubed tyres as if the tube gets shreadded you'll never get a seal - so you'll know you've internal 'issues'    Tubeless tyres get a repair kit so you have to stop and assess the damage.

I'm not saying anyone else is wrong, but that's my reasoning...

michael

There's logic to that.

I use a repair kit and a small 12 volt air compressor. (ever run out of cartridges? I did. Once.)

My only additional recommendation is to replace the glue every year, as sometimes it hardens in the tube.

(Please don't ask how I learned this tidbit!)

For a few pennies, Ive always got a fresh tube.

I may never need it, yet the contentment it brings is cheap in comparison to the worry and fastidious worrying.

Guest phatstorage

This.  You can't get all the goo off the inside of the cut so the glue on the mushroom isn't reliable.  Well, I guess you could try but I wouldn't ride it after.  YMMV  :fear:

The other thing (less likely, but you never know) is that if you get a long/big(I've had 25mm copper pipe through the rear tyre) thing inside the tyre carcass it may play havoc with the internals without you ever knowing if the goo seals the hole as the object will stay in position.

So for me, I'll use goo on tubed tyres as if the tube gets shreadded you'll never get a seal - so you'll know you've internal 'issues'    Tubeless tyres get a repair kit so you have to stop and assess the damage.

I'm not saying anyone else is wrong, but that's my reasoning...

I have used goop for some years, recently I had a screw in my rear tyre, I left it for a couple of weeks, just kept an eye on it, after a while, it started leaking air, I knew this as the air had green goo in it, I got out the rubber mushroom repair kit, whacked a mushroom in there and it stayed up, not losing pressure at all, no adhesive, no cleaning of the tyre from the inside, air pressure alone will help keep the mushroom there, as well as the stalk that runs through the tyre,

Not sure much would stop air escaping from an inch (25mm) hole in a tyre though :no: 

After reading with amusement once again I have got to find out how water is able to get into a punctured tyre with any amount of air in it, unless you are a complete dullard and run on a completely flat tyre, the air wants to get out more than the water wants to get in. If anyone has any evidence of this weird science, I'd love to hear it.

Edited by phatstorage
Rev Ken

Phatstorage, with reference to water damage I have seen a few where the tyre construction has been exposed. It isn't that water gets into the inside of a tyre, but where it is damaged by whatever caused the puncture from the outside. 'Goo' can seal a hole while still leaving cords exposed. The worst I saw had wire in its construction (car tyre) which had rusted until the tyre failed with fatal consequences. However I'm not aware of any wire in bike tyres.