Adjusting the clutch

Guest andrem

Guest andrem

Hey all! 

I wanted to play with the clutch, to get it to grab in an area that's more suited to my tastes but I'm afraid that I've messed up somehow.

Basically, I need to know how to make sure that the clutch disconnects properly so i'm not changing gears with it still being connected or even worse, driving it when it's not fully connected!

Anybody have any tips for out bikes in this area? 

Guest Southerner

For minor adjustments, you should only need to adjust up top at the lever (the locking wheel).  Adjustment can be made lower down where the cable disappears into the casing but that's usually for more serious adjustment on a worn clutch, as far as I'm aware.

Guest robin

Adjust it to fit your hand span.  Where you want it feeling comfy.

Test it without the engine running.  Put bike in gear. Try to roll forwards with clutch out and pull clutch in to when it starts rolling, biting point. Keep pulling in till fully in and bike should roll easy.

Its the biting point you want to adjust to your hand..

If you adjust too much then the clutch will slip/ rev engine..

Edited by robin
Guest andrem

Adjust it to fit your hand span.  Where you want it feeling comfy.

Test it without the engine running.  Put bike in gear. Try to roll forwards with clutch out and pull clutch in to when it starts rolling, biting point. Keep pulling in till fully in and bike should roll easy.

Its the biting point you want to adjust to your hand..

If you adjust too much then the clutch will slip/ rev engine..

Shouldn't there bit a bit of resistance when having it in gear and the clutch in? When it's in neutral it's very smooth and easy to roll but with it in 1st and the clutch in, it's a bit of resistance to move the bike. I adjusted the cable by the leaver and the resistance feels there whichever adjustment I make.