Dealer "health check"

Guest DH1900
Go to solution Solved by chris,

Guest DH1900

I'm heading for the continent and my local dealer has suggested a 'health check' for the bike before I go. Is it worth the money? The 750X currently has 3900 miles on the clock so that's 3300 miles since its last service, 3 months ago.

dandemann8

I'm heading for the continent and my local dealer has suggested a 'health check' for the bike before I go. Is it worth the money? The 750X currently has 3900 miles on the clock so that's 3300 miles since its last service, 3 months ago.

Should be bullet proof so me personally, go and enjoy touring the Continent.... ;)

You're 8,000 miles from your next scheduled service. Check your chain, tyre pressure and wear and liquid levels and you're good to go as Duncan already said. These machines are built to do 200,000 miles or more just following the standard service schedule.

• Like 1
bikerbampi

I wouldn't go for the health check as you got 4100 miles to your next service.  If you don't expect to exceed 8000 by the time you get back you should be OK to go after your usual checks already mentioned.   :thumbsup:

Edited by bikerbampi
Guest Murcuseo

I definitely agree with all of the above. It sounds like your dealer is trying to scare you in to emptying your wallet.

How many miles do you plan to cover during your tour?

I have a week trip planned in June and have around 6500 miles on the clock. If I get above 7k before I go I'll get my service done early but other than that, I have faith in Honda's manufacturing.

Guest bonekicker

What I dont really understand is?  this low cost maintaince bike we have yet the dealers and Honda want us to keep spending, any excuse will do, but if you feel your bike needs checking over and could spoil your holiday by just thinking I wish I had the bike checked after all-- the choice is yours.post-2426-0-51134500-1400557247.gif

• Solution

You're 8,000 miles from your next scheduled service. Check your chain, tyre pressure and wear and liquid levels and you're good to go as Duncan already said. These machines are built to do 200,000 miles or more just following the standard service schedule.

Shame I mixed up miles and km in my post. Service interval is 8,000 miles/ 12,000 km. So you're 4000 miles from next service. Still good to go. When I got back from a 3,000 km trip last week the chain slack was where it was when I left and all liquids stayed the same.

Guest nc700

Shame I mixed up miles and km in my post. Service interval is 8,000 miles/ 12,000 km. So you're 4000 miles from next service. Still good to go. When I got back from a 3,000 km trip last week the chain slack was where it was when I left and all liquids stayed the same.

Thanks for correcting - it's a shame the "Best answer" has erroneous info in it, for anyone taking a quick look and not reading past it. :ermm:

Edited by nc700
Guest DH1900

Thanks for correcting - it's a shame the "Best answer" has erroneous info in it, for anyone taking a quick look and not reading past it. :ermm:

That's easy enough to fix.

horobags

Before a big ride I do a POWER check, petrol,oil,water, electrics,rubber, easy to remember.

Guest nc700

Before a big ride I do a POWER check, petrol,oil,water, electrics,rubber, easy to remember.

POWDERS

D = Drive = Chain

S = Stopping and Suspension = brakes & suspension

:-) Ah, this makes me laugh - a 'health check' :-) Sounds like it was one of those new mechanic initiations - 'go tell the customer his bike needs a health check' - did you hear sniggering from the garage?

Guest Southerner

What a load of tosh...! :ermm:

Over and above checking fluid levels, I'd be checking that the Trailmax (if fitted) has enough meat on it to last the journey! 

Guest Todd L.

After reading several oil analysis reports from Blackstone Labs, I would cut the oil change interval in half unless you are riding in textbook perfect conditions which no one ever will. At 8k the oil analysis all showed significant shearing and a significant drop in the viscosity of the oil. One was a 10w40 that ended up as a high 20 to low 30 weight. With an oil change being so simple and relatively cheap, why push it? 4-5k is still a VERY long time!

After reading several oil analysis reports from Blackstone Labs, I would cut the oil change interval in half unless you are riding in textbook perfect conditions which no one ever will. At 8k the oil analysis all showed significant shearing and a significant drop in the viscosity of the oil. One was a 10w40 that ended up as a high 20 to low 30 weight. With an oil change being so simple and relatively cheap, why push it? 4-5k is still a VERY long time!

Not sure where you saw those reports. The ones I saw were all fine.

I'll stick with Honda engineers on this one. They don't play games on service intervals and in my experience Japanese engineers err about 20,000 miles on the cautious side.

Guest caveman

Prob far better off with the owners getting a health check.Far more to go wrong with you in 3000mile tour really.Save moneys buy more fuel & ride further...