Brake fluid change

TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman

Does anyone know if changing the brake fluid requires anything other than the way you'd change brake flu on any normal bike (early bmw 1200gs's excepted)

The abs system isn't anything trick is it?

I'm hoping it's just a case of pushing the pistons fully in then flushing new fluid through while keeping the master cylinder reservoir topped up? Like any other bike I've owned.

Process is clearly described in the service manual for the 700. It's straightforward enough, just requires a set sequence because of linked ABS.

750 should be even easier due to no linking of front & rear brakes. Should just be like bleeding normal bike brakes, pumping old fluid out until the fresh starts to come through clean for each circuit.

embee

I've changed the fluid on my Integra with the combined brakes with no problem. I'm not sure if there's any particular advantage in doing the front or rear part of the combined circuit first, especially as the Integra has the reservoir on the left handlebar rather than right foot. The 750 doesn't have the combined circuit anyway so it doesn't apply to your bike.

I use a Mityvac. It really is worth the cost (something like £35 these days I think) because it makes brake fluid changes/bleeding completely relaible and effortless, no issues ever with poor bleeding/spongey feel etc which so many bike forums report ad nauseam. Use it to empty the old fluid directly out of the reservoir first, saving passing it all through the system. Some folk worry about air leaking into the vac tube at the nipple when loosened off, but this really doen't matter at all since the pressure is low in the vac line and no air can get back into the brake system (going the wrong way). Pump up the vacuum in the bottle and just let the fluid come out of the nipple in a steady flow, better for purging air than pumping it through in bits.

The one tip I'd give is to arrange some sort of heavy stand for the bottle to sit in otherwise it always falls over when you move the tubes or pump. I used an old scaffold pole foot which I happened to have picked up somewhere and welded a short piece of split pipe onto it (the split lets you see the fluid level). I'm sure others will come up with alternative ideas for a stand.

• 1 month later...
Guest Paget76

Hi,

Just found this topic, as I need to bleed the brakes on my NC700X. A couple of questions - you mention the service manual, but I haven't been able to find this available anywhere online - where did you get it from? And, you mention that there is a specific sequence - could you let me know what that is, please?

Cheers,

Richard

Guest dentonlad

Hi,

Just found this topic, as I need to bleed the brakes on my NC700X. A couple of questions - you mention the service manual, but I haven't been able to find this available anywhere online - where did you get it from? And, you mention that there is a specific sequence - could you let me know what that is, please?

Cheers,

Richard

Richard,

If you become a full member, by donating a few quid to Ted, you will gain access to the downloads section. All sorts of useful stuff in there, if you get my meaning..........