ABS Operating at Low speeds

Guest Arthritic Toe

Guest Arthritic Toe

Has anyone else had this?  Occasionally the abs seems to operate just in the last few feet before coming to a standstill  It makes virtually no difference to anything, but I thought there was a minimum speed under which it should not operate (5 mph?).  I have the 8000 mile service coming up soonish so I'll mention it then.  Maybe a dodgy sensor or something.

Guest billc700s

Has anyone else had this?  Occasionally the abs seems to operate just in the last few feet before coming to a standstill  It makes virtually no difference to anything, but I thought there was a minimum speed under which it should not operate (5 mph?).  I have the 8000 mile service coming up soonish so I'll mention it then.  Maybe a dodgy sensor or something.

The ABS only becomes active after 6mph but then stays active until you switch off the ignition, with the dct you can switch to neutral when stopped but the abs light stays off so it is still active.

Guest NCXrookie

I am happy that the ABS is operating at low speed, it is doing it's job.  Stopping the wheels from locking up, causing the bike to skid and possibly out of control.  Bikes are safer now.  Thank you Honda. 

Guest Stephen S

I tried braking with all the force I could muster on a dry road at 30mph. I couldn't get the ABS to kick in. My instructor (I was on a lesson) tried and he couldn't either.

We concluded that the tyres on a dry road would not lose adhesion, which was quite comforting.

I haven't tried in the wet or on gravel. I'd like to, but under supervision! And with someone to help pick the bike up if I dropped it.

Dave H

A colleague of mine tried to get the ABS working on a K75RT by braking hard on a wet smooth concrete floor (inside our garage unit).  He could get up to 30 mph but couldn't get the front to let go and see if the ABS kicked in.  This was back in the 90's when ABS was rare.

Guest Arthritic Toe

Yeah but my point is that it seems to operate at low speed on a perfect surface, i.e. no gravel, in the dry, just before stopping under not particularly heavy braking.  Its as if its incorrectly detecting a lock.

Guest dentonlad

It's most likely to be a sensor. This used to happen on a Toyota Yaris I drove (not owned, I'm at pains to point out!). The ABS would come in at 5-8 mph under light braking. The dealer stuck a diagnostic whotsit on it and it showed a faulty sensor. 

As you're getting your 8K service get 'em to have a look while you're there.

Guest nc700sam

A couple of months ago in the sun, I approached the M11 roundabout just off of the Cambridge junction, and to my surprise it looked as though the surface was wet. I applied the front brake and the ABS went mad, I almost ended up going straight across the roundabout. As I accelerated away, the rear spun up and I was left thinking 'what the hell is going on?' Low and behold, as I came over the flyover there was a tractor at the side of the road that had dumped ALL of it's hydraulic oil onto the roundabout and beyond, which was like riding on wet icy glass. The ABS saved me for sure, thank you so much Honda!!!

This is proof it really works well!

Derek_Mac

I haven't tried in the wet or on gravel. I'd like to, but under supervision! And with someone to help pick the bike up if I dropped it.

They're not that difficult to pick up, the more embarrassed you are the easier it is to do. ;)

I'm talking from personal experience. :(

Guest szucsi

And with someone to help pick the bike up if I dropped it.

There are several tricks to pick up a bike. You really don't need that much strength.

A tiny lady can do this: http://youtu.be/aZPGQ2jA05Q

The easiest way for me was this method: http://youtu.be/dXr00MWo0bc?t=2m48s

If your bike is on its right side, then the best is to open the side stand, so the bike will not fall on the other side, if you are "too strong".

(I was on a course once, and they taught us 4 ways, and we had to do it all. Oh, and the bike was a CBF1000, with a full tank. Approx. 250kgs, and not a low centre of gravity.)

Edited by szucsi
Guest EasyTiger

They're not that difficult to pick up, the more embarrassed you are the easier it is to do. ;)

I'm talking from personal experience. :(

Embarrassment and the sight of a white van approaching down a lane that was empty seconds earlier release powerful floods of adrenaline....DAMHIK.

I rely on the 'tiny lady' method above, that uses the body's most powerful muscles. Since a drop may occur on a slope, a refinement after checking for personal safety, turning the bars inwards to the max and putting the sidestand down, is to put the bike into gear. I guess on the DCT the handbrake could be useful here. I wouldn't want my back to the bike and it wanting to run off downhill!

Guest stimilon

Are you sure it's the ABS activating? Do you actually feel the levers/pedal pulsing or just feel a sort of shudder during those last few feet?

A bit of a shudder, especially under lighter braking just before coming to a stop is normal. Well, for these bikes anyhow.

Guest chickenflaps

It's most likely to be a sensor. This used to happen on a Toyota Yaris I drove (not owned, I'm at pains to point out!). The ABS would come in at 5-8 mph under light braking. The dealer stuck a diagnostic whotsit on it and it showed a faulty sensor. 

As you're getting your 8K service get 'em to have a look while you're there.

Oi! dont knock the Yaris!  I've put 143,000 miles on mine and it's never gone wrong!  :)

• 1 month later...
Guest The Ronin

I, too, have felt the ABS kick in at quite slow speeds a few times. Mostly at roundabouts where there has been some light gravel, so I think it was doing its job.

Guest robson

Yeah but my point is that it seems to operate at low speed on a perfect surface, i.e. no gravel, in the dry, just before stopping under not particularly heavy braking.  Its as if its incorrectly detecting a lock.

ABS should not kick in in that condition not to mention that on gravel, loose surface ABS can cause only more trouble then you already have.   Check your sensors, because mine does not activate under 6mp/h.

Rocker66

here you see low speed abs functioning. Clearly with ABS OFF the breaking distance is shorter.

ABSBrakesfun.jpg

Probably even shorter as once the front wheel locks up your likely to come to a sudden stop and find yourself laying on the floor