rear hugger removed?

nelmo

Just had my 8k service done, at a small garage that used to be a Honda dealer, I'm told.

Only after I got home tonight, did I notice that my rear hugger is gone! At the bottom of the invoice, it says, "rear hugger removed for safety".

I'm going to call them in the morning but anyone know what that is about?

Tex

Maybe it was cracking around the mounting points (or something) and they felt it might break off and tangle with the wheel? Bloody odd that they didn't either call you to discuss it or at least tell you what they'd done when you picked the bike up. Do let us know what they say, please.

embee

That sounds a bit bizarre. They really shouldn't do anything other than the service without first talking to the customer, and even if they agreed to do extra work like removing a hugger which was genuinely posing a problem they should return the item to you (it's yours after all). Very odd.

Steve Blackdog

Nice of him to tell you at the time!  I'd be well pee'd off unless he had a very good reason.

That is really weird.....

Guest bonekicker

How times have changed --- take it off --- don't tell customer ??? What the fheek !!!!! :frantics:

Edited by bonekicker
bazza

When i insured by bike they asked if it had an Extras fitted -one of the items that seems to need to notified was a hugger- I wonder why? can understand a tuned engine but why should a higger be an additional insurance risk?

Just called them - they said it was cracked and flapping about, hitting the tyre. Apologised for not telling/asking me and they said they still have it if I want to go have a look...bit annoying they didn't even call to tell me...

I had noticed when I last washed the bike that it was pretty loose and only held on with cable ties but it wasn't cracked then (about a month ago).

I assume a hugger is not standard when you buy the bike new?

This is the first service I've had done in about 5 years as I always serviced my last bike myself - good to see standards haven't changed  :getlost:

Get the hugger back.  Might be able to repair it.  Worth a try.

Not really bothered - I found that when I was washing it, it was splattered with mud (on the top), so it obviously wasn't doing a decent job  :ermm:

Edited by nelmo
Guest Kildareman

Not really bothered - I found that when I was washing it, it was splattered with mud (on the top), so it obviously wasn't doing a decent job  :ermm:

In that case don't bother :getlost:   Would recommend getting a shock sock though.  They do work and are cheap compared to a hugger

R&G do one.  I use a Traxxion thta I've transferred from previous bikes.

stordz

I've got the R&G shock sock fitted to my bike, I'd never heard of one until someone mentioned it on this forum and I'm glad they did as it does the business and looks good......plus it's cheaper than a hugger :D

bazza

I have a hugger - fitted when I got the bike.it seems a bit short to do a proper job but it's the same with chain guards- if they were fully enclosed ( old fogies remember pre 1960 triumphs) they would double the chain life but not "racing chic" so not popular today so we have to buy a Scott oiler to top up what gets chucked off . When I clean my chain its always covered in dirt so the guard certainly isn't keeping muck off - and i reckon chain WAX retains the dirt - not repels it!

Guest Neil700

I use chain lube rather than wax for that exact reason. I also find that wax retains the dirt, whereas the lube flings a bit more,but, also flings off the dirt too.

Rocker66

I used to find the fully enclosed chain on my MZs a good idea. Some people may remember back in the 70s a guy called Pete Furlong produced full chain enclosures for some Japanese bikes

In that case don't bother :getlost:   Would recommend getting a shock sock though.  They do work and are cheap compared to a hugger

R&G do one.  I use a Traxxion thta I've transferred from previous bikes.

Mine's already got one on - I guess the previous owner did it...very good of him  :thumbsup:  (and for only doing 2k miles in the bike's first year - I've done 7k miles in 4 months :hyper: ).

Guest Kildareman

Fair play to you.  I would now take the shock sock off and check the shock, clean it if necessary and spray with ACF-50 (corrosion inhibitor) and refit shock sock.

• 2 weeks later...

Roy, Keep an eye on the shock, The shock sock can absorb moisture and leave the area damp, I leave mine open to the air and just give it a quick hose down takes seconds to do and it looks fine after 2 years and 25,000 miles.The R&G looks good though.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Steve700x

Hi Neil. Which Hugger was it? pyramid plastics (guessing it might have been if it was secured only by the tie)? Thanks.