Brake Light Stuck On - NC700X

Guest Scottiebw
Go to solution Solved by chris,

Guest Scottiebw

After a decent weekend of riding my brake light now appears to be on constantly. I'm guessing this is a dirt in a sensor type scenario. Can anyone advise on where to start cleaning / looking to remedy this?

I had a similar issue - corrected by lifting the rear brake pedal and it went off. Washed the offending area (dried as well as possible) and applied ACF50, never had a problem after

• Solution

There're switches connected to both front brake lever & brake pedal. Most likely is as JaseR says - one of them is stuck.

They're the first places to check. According to the manual you need to take the side panel/shroud off but you can probably get enough access to check without doing that

embee

As the others say, first things first. Check that both front and rear brake levers are free and returning to their stops properly. Rear is much more likely to be a culprit than front, but check both. Lube the pivots as necessary (if you haven't done it already they'll probably be near enough dry out of the factory).

Next step is a quick check as to which switch is doing it, the easy one to get to is the front, under the brake lever pivot area, a small box-like object with 2 wires. Disconnect one (or both) wires and see if the lamp is still on. The more usual issue with these front switches is that the contacts can get a bit dirty and the lamp doesn't come on at all (or only sometimes).

Then check the rear switch similarly.

The rear switches usually have a threaded body and can be adjusted to set the amount of pedal travel at which the lamp comes on. It's possible that yours was set very close to the pedal off position and settling in has pushed it just into switching on.

Guest Steve700x

After a decent weekend of riding my brake light now appears to be on constantly. I'm guessing this is a dirt in a sensor type scenario. Can anyone advise on where to start cleaning / looking to remedy this?

Don't kill me for asking this, but you have got the engine on whilst checking this? I thought mine was stuck on when I was cleaning the bike, then realised it won't return until the engine is running. Felt daft!

Guest Scottiebw

Don't kill me for asking this, but you have got the engine on whilst checking this? I thought mine was stuck on when I was cleaning the bike, then realised it won't return until the engine is running. Felt daft!

The brake light comes on as soon as the key is in accessory mode and remains on when the engine is running. Just stripping it now to give it a good clean.

Guest Steve700x

The brake light comes on as soon as the key is in accessory mode and remains on when the engine is running. Just stripping it now to give it a good clean.

Ok good luck with releasing it then. Just wondered because I found the brake not returning and the realised that once I was riding it, the light was going off.

Ok good luck with releasing it then. Just wondered because I found the brake not returning and the realised that once I was riding it, the light was going off.

Sounds like you might have a sticky switch yourself. Engine on or off has no bearing on the circuit but if the switch is sticky the vibes from engine and movement could be enough to cause the sticky one to close.
michael

Discovered the same problem….the rear brake light switch had somehow become maladjusted. (and here I thought it was only the rider that's maladjusted)

Simple turning of the switch-it is threaded, and the problem was solved. Good thing too. The relief at finding (with the help of my riding partner, whom merely kneeled down beside the bike and pointed at the switch, telling me in a soft voice, "it's usually the brake light switch.") a simple solution while 300 miles from home on the first day of a week long ride was palpable.

<whew>

Guest Scottiebw

Sorry for the delay in responding. It was indeed the rear switch that had got mucked up. A geed clean and wipe and it's working perfectly now. I'd taken the casing off but realised I needn't have. All good. Thanks for the help.