miles between valve adjustments

Guest bikeknut

Guest bikeknut

The 750 now has valve clearance adjustments specified at twice the mileage of the 700. My 750 owners manual also covers the 700 (presumably for the US market)and doesn't differentiate between the two engine sizes. I suppose Honda has decided that the original specification was over-cautious. Does this means 700 owners can now revert to the 750 spec?

embee

I checked mine (700) at about 4k miles and they were fine. I also have a Deauville and based on many years of owners' reports, that engine is good for 20k miles between checks and even then often no adjustments are required The valve train design is quite similar, the only real difference is the roller followers in the NC. Personally I don't intend to go into my NC valve gear again before 20k miles, but everyone should make their own mind up on that one.

bazza

The 750 now has valve clearance adjustments specified at twice the mileage of the 700. My 750 owners manual also covers the 700 (presumably for the US market)and doesn't differentiate between the two engine sizes. I suppose Honda has decided that the original specification was over-cautious. Does this means 700 owners can now revert to the 750 spec?

Where did you get the manual please? honda say they don't do one!"

I spoke to my local dealer about the frequency of the valve checks on the NC700 - the response was that 8K was the starting point and that Honda were monitoring service reports with the view that IF there was no issue the time/distance would be extended.

As the 750 came out not long after the NC and is essentially the same engine but with wider pistons (I think) then I'm not surprised the service interval has been extended :)

I rang Honda at Swindon ( head office) ref check, they told me every 16000 miles, on my 750 x that was from the service depp, so thats when I will have mine looked at...Ride Safe ...

Guest bikeknut

Where did you get the manual please? honda say they don't do one!"

sorry. Was referring to the owners handbook only. Thanks for your comments. As I said, the owners handbook for the 750 also covers the 700 for wherever they still sell them and the spec for valve checks is the same. If I had a 700 I would check at 8K and if all was in order leave them thereafter for 16K.

Defender

As my next service will be at 8000 I will have it checked and see what they find, after that it'll be depending on use and mileage over the intervening time.

Guest bonekicker

This is what my dealer said about my previous bike CB500X and my present bike NC750X --- if we check on our workshop laptoppost-2426-0-80007400-1405498719.gif and the bike shows no adverse signs we don't do the valve checks, out of all the bikes we have sold we have only done 1 bike??????

That's what I've been told!!!!!post-2426-0-38192100-1405498733.gif

They told me at my dealer's they have serviced one NC reaching 100.000 Km without needing valves adjustments.

Guest Flighttime

Ha.. at 12,000 Km my dealer told me my valves were a little loose so they tightened them up. Then at 24,000Km they said they were a little tight and backed them off.

Think the biggest problem with valve clearances is the guy trying to read the feeler gauge... :D