Is the drain plug magnetic?

usabikes
Go to solution Solved by embee,

usabikes

Looking at buying a magnetic sump plug when I came across a post (which I now can't find) that suggest the standard sump plug is already magnetic.

Anybody confirm this? Am I about to waste a tenner?

Thanx,

Graeme

bazza

You could see if a magnet is interested from below!

• Solution
embee

My 700 plug wasn't.

I fit samarium cobalt magnets into all my sump plugs (neodymium magnets are a bit temperature sensitive, 100C is borderline for them). It certainly isn't necessary, it's just that I have the facilities to fit the magnets, they cost very little (5mm dia by 10mm long I think, 50p each? off that auction site) and it gives me a warm feeling. A tenner sounds expensive, I'm sure there are plenty on sale at a fiver or so. Not necessary but won't do any harm if you feel like it.

Edit - just noticed your location, not sure what 10 local currency units is in GBP)

Edited by embee
usabikes

Good answer thanks Murray. I'll see what I can find locally and araldite one up myself. As you say, quite unnecesary but the warm feeling is nice!

Thank you Murray and Barry for your suggestions.

embee

I drill the sump plug and fit the magnets with high strength Loctite. I use 638 but most grades would be OK as it's not exactly a high stress situation. That is fine in engine oil at the sort of temperatures normally seen (120C max typically). The magnets I use are 5 dia and 10 long, I drill 6mm deep.

Check the max temp capability of whatever adhesive you use

usabikes

Tried locally with the guy I bought a lot of stuff off while doing up the Norton but would be charged $8.50 + post (roughly 5 imperial quid). Too tight for that...

Have had a look on the-auction-site-that-shall-not-be-named and I can't see a long samarium cobalt magnet, just some short flat ones. Maybe these could be arrayed on the flats on the oil filter?

embee

There's some listed on the UK version, 5mm dia x 10mm long at £3.86 for 5. 

Probably simpler just to get a magnetic plug though!  :D

usabikes

Must agree. Getting some stuff from Japan so will include a natty red ally drain plug with magnet. Thanks again for your help.