MPG has changed?

roddy

Can anyone shed any light on this one?.

I have just had a oil and filter change and a general once over at 4,300 miles on my 750S. Since having it back with mixed riding and generally riding as I was before the MPG has gone down to 58mpg. The bike goes better and seems more responsive but other than that I am flummoxed?

bazza

i get about 65 on my DCT pushing it quite hard -and i am a fat b'stard! So maybe they have enrichened it somehow? in the old days you could do a "plug chop" to see how it was burning but now it's a sensor up the can! Why not ask them for the readings?

Mike5100

I had a conversation with a Honda engineer at the NEC: 

he said the difference people are feeling after a service is because the dealer does a 'relearn' which allows the bike to reset itself and pick up various things (for instance - the best idle speed may be different for a bike with 8000 miles on compared to a brand new one).

I guess it's possible your bike could get better over the next few days but of not I would ask the dealer if they did this reset.  I must say mine never felt any different after services though

Mike

Thanks, I will keep a check on it and go back to the dealer to mention these points.

Gareth, I'm not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs here, but, how are you calculating your mpg? The reason I ask is that I had a couple of disappointing mpg results and it turned out that I had been a victim of the (now) famous trip meter re-sets. Once I worked out that I'd done 185 miles rather than the 135 the trip showed all was back to normal.

Like I say, not wanting to be patronising in any way, just trying to help.

No problem Simon,my calculations border a bit of the obsessive sometimes this is my equation:

LTRS DIVIDED BY 4.55 = A

MILES DIVIDED BY A = MPG

This works very accurately as long as you put in the correct figures. and thanks for the help.

• Like 1
Mike5100

No problem Simon,my calculations border a bit of the obsessive sometimes this is my equation:

LTRS DIVIDED BY 4.55 = A

MILES DIVIDED BY A = MPG

This works very accurately as long as you put in the correct figures. and thanks for the help.

Yes but I think Simon was asking where you are getting your mileage figure from.  If it's from the main odometer then that's fine, but if you are using the Trip meters you may be losing mileage from those because of the random trip reset problem.  

Mike

ddazzler64

I get roughly 55-60 around town - that's typical for me.  Spoke to one guy on the nc700s and when i refuel at the red line - around 160 odd mpg, he gets nearly 220 to the full tank in London riding too.  (The best I've ever gotten is 180 on motorway rides before the red line flashes.) 

I'm surprised that letting the bike run in the red gets that extra 60miles.  

Any thoughts people?

The trip meter is okay

I would suggest you start checking your trip meter reading against the odometer reading. Sometimes it can go for nearly 1,000 miles but then reset twice in 50 miles and surely they all must be doing it.

55-60 surely is not right we always get 80+ and my VFR12 gets 55 with 3 times the power

GBH, you are right the MPG should be high, after all that is one of the main reasons for buying the bike. Its got to be something that the mechanic has done after the oil and filter change? It could have been reset to its factory settings,running a bit rich, I really don't know at the moment?

Mike5100

roddy - also check whether your HISS light is flashing immediately after you switch the ignition off.  If not then maybe the dealer has accidentally disabled it.  Some of us on here reckon that when the HISS display is disabled the Tripmeter forgets the occasional journey.

Mike

Gareth,I popped into GT motorcycles in Plymouth on the 1stAugust, they told me they have been notified by Honda that they are starting to recall ref the trip meters on the 26/8/2014 onwards,give them a ring and get on the list,that might sort out the problem I am having and also you...Ride Safe..

Thanks Len I will ring them right now it is my trip meter playing up

Len,Torbay motorcycles look after mine where do you go?

Gareth,I popped into GT motorcycles in Plymouth on the 1stAugust, they told me they have been notified by Honda that they are starting to recall ref the trip meters on the 26/8/2014 onwards,give them a ring and get on the list,that might sort out the problem I am having and also you...Ride Safe..

Just checked with my Honda dealer who I know very well and they say Honda have no re-calls on the 750 yet as they have still not worked out how to fix the problem with the radom trip resets.

George,you are right there is no recall on trip meter yet,GOT IT WRONG I rang GT of plymouth they said Honda are allowing them to change the unit under warranty...RideSafe....

Len, I am very impressed with Kevin the mechanic there. He is a perfectionist and is a class act , you are in good hands with him , bit of a trek up from Plymouth?

30 years ago an obnoxious fellow I know bought a new vehicle bragging on the high mileage his new Ford pickup achieved. So every day at work someone snuck to the parking lot and added some gas to his tank.  After a few thousand miles he took it to the dealer for service. Then every day someone snuck to the parking lot and siphoned a little gas out of his tank. It was lmao funny, but felt sorry for the dealer with this guy raising cane wanting to know what they did to destroy his gas mileage.

Point is do you have someone playing tricks..

Guest Peterpoddy

I get roughly 55-60 around town - that's typical for me. Spoke to one guy on the nc700s and when i refuel at the red line - around 160 odd mpg, he gets nearly 220 to the full tank in London riding too. (The best I've ever gotten is 180 on motorway rides before the red line flashes.)

Read this and weep! ;)

The other day I got 210.7 miles before the red light started flashing. That last tankful you see on the graph is the one, I filled up this morning after 241 miles with 12.66 litres, so it would have sailed over 250 on the tank with ease.

The last 3 months are averaging out about 85mpg now.

I admit I'm taking it easy as currently all of my mileage is the same commute and I'm in no rush. But this is why I bought the NC in the first place and it's exceeded my expectoration of 75mpg quite handsomely. :)

14962093462_49ab2d76b4_c.jpg

image by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

Edited by Peterpoddy