anybody got flat tyre already? - fixable on the road?

Guest robson

Guest robson

Wonder how easy is to fix it on the road. What kit should I get?

Any tips appreciated since I'm going soon on long 

trip and I am a little apprehensive about not having spare tyre

with me...

Rocker66

You could get a repair kit that plugs the tyre but that would depend on the nature and position of the tyre.

If you don't mind me saying so you appear to be a bit of a worrier (nothing wrong with that) soIf your going on a long trip and want peace of mind i suggest joining one of the recovery services sch as RAC or AA. Of course ifyour bike is new you have AA membership with your warranty.

Just relax and enjoy your ride

I have had many punctures over the years, but Nick Sanders (adventure rider) has only had one in 400,000 miles. Tyres seem much stronger construction these days, so you should stay puncture free.

You could install ultra-seal or puncture safe, but a problem with using that is, that, it does seal a puncture, however there could be damage to the tyre that will let go at speed.

I carry a repair kit and a small electric compressor, because I ride on many group rides and it could be useful, but it's only been pressed into service once, when the tyre went down overrnight (that's what usually happens), I was staying in a pub, called out the AA, and ended up training their contractor in how to plug the tyre.

coopers12345

http://www.dynaplug-uk.com/ do a kit that's easy to use road side. Only problem I see with doing it yourself roadside is that you have to carry CO2 cartridges or a compressor about with you if you don't catch it before it's almost flat.

Guest EasyTiger

Everything others say above is true and useful. This topic has been well covered on the forum several times. Using the Search function will produce lots of experience and tips.

The biggest problem with plugging tyres is that you need to ream the hole out to a suitable size to accept the plug. This can sometimes mean the hole becomes too large for a later (permanent) repair. My former employers got fed up with claims that "Your patrolman ruined my tyre and you have to buy me a new one" - in reality it was the puncture that ruined the tyre (obviously) and all we did was to provide a temporary solution to allow the rider to continue their journey.

Anyway, they (and the RAC) have moved away from plugs and now inject 'Slime' through the valve stem before re-inflating the tyre. Works just as well, but no (further) damage to the tyre. Easier to use too, but you do need a pump/garage forecourt/other means of inflation.

• Like 1
Guest robson

You could get a repair kit that plugs the tyre but that would depend on the nature and position of the tyre.

If you don't mind me saying so you appear to be a bit of a worrier (nothing wrong with that) soIf your going on a long trip and want peace of mind i suggest joining one of the recovery services sch as RAC or AA. Of course ifyour bike is new you have AA membership with your warranty.

Just relax and enjoy your ride

I don't think they cover Morocco, do they?

Rocker66

I don't think they cover Morocco, do they?

Maybe if you had stated where you were going as opposed to just saying a long trip I would have been able to answer your question diferently. Sadly my mind reading capabilities are not that good these days :)

• Like 2

I had a flat after 100,000 miles of riding.  Started to call for assistance before I remembered the mushroom plug kit I carried all those miles. Worked fine.

Anyone recommend a CO2 air inflator that can be used with presta AND Schrader valves (so I can use it on my bicycle as well). I've been looking at the AirChuck Elite but there are plenty more. What do you all use?

Guest EasyTiger

Wiggle has the Airchuck + 2 x 16g cartridges for £21.24, 92% recommended. (Note that there's no protection for your hand from the cold when you release the gas with this model.)

The bulkier Lezyne Twin (with puncture repair kit, + 2 x 16g) for £17.99.  BBB BMP-31 Airsafe (+ 1 x 16g cartridge) for £13.46. There are user reviews and Q and As on each.

Not sure a single 16g CO2 cartridge would get a bike tyre very far - which may be why some riders carry a stripped-down mini-compressor. 35g available for mountain bikes.

I did drill out the Presta valve holes on my cycles and fit Shraders. (So I could use a core removal tool to fill them with the brilliant Stan's No-Nails...). You can buy Slime-filled inner tubes with Presta valves though - in Wilkinsons!

Any one of these would work:

http://www.aerostich.com/tools/tire-repair/tire-repair-kits

The trick is to find one that's sized and works to your liking. I recommend trying one that you think you like, and just before you buy new tires, fix a few "man made," holes to see if it works in your garage.

Once proficient, then it's easy to fix a flat on a tubeless tire without even having to lay on the ground. Then, only annual maintenance is required. I found that auto parts stores sell parts of these kits in bubble wrap, so i can easily replace the glue tube each year for a minimal cost.

I'm not a fan of CO2 cartridges. When you're out, you're out. Better to have a 12 Volt air compressor, such as any one of these:

http://www.aerostich.com/tools/tire-repair/pumps-air-compressors

I'm not recommending any of them, particularly knowing shipping from the US to the UK can be convoluted at times, I'm merely saying that with an operating engine and a connector, you've always got air.

Guest robson

I'm not a fan of CO2 cartridges. When you're out, you're out. Better to have a 12 Volt air compressor, such as any one of these:

http://www.aerostich.com/tools/tire-repair/pumps-air-compressors

I think compressor is better as well assuming you have 12v socket, but usually those devices are a little bit big to carry around. Wonder though how many such co2 bullets I need to inflate whole tyre?

If you run a compressor through the Honda power outlet you'll simply blow the 1 amp fuse. You just need to hook it directly to the battery - they  usually come with crocodile clips for that.

You'll need about 4 CO2 cartridges to inflate a motorcycle tyre.

usabikes

The biggest problem with plugging tyres is that you need to ream the hole out to a suitable size to accept the plug. This can sometimes mean the hole becomes too large for a later (permanent) repair. My former employers got fed up with claims that "Your patrolman ruined my tyre and you have to buy me a new one" - in reality it was the puncture that ruined the tyre (obviously) and all we did was to provide a temporary solution to allow the rider to continue their journey.

Anyway, they (and the RAC) have moved away from plugs and now inject 'Slime' through the valve stem before re-inflating the tyre. Works just as well, but no (further) damage to the tyre. Easier to use too, but you do need a pump/garage forecourt/other means of inflation.

Tex my old chum - if a person was to put in the "Slime" before hand would it automatically fix the hole so a person didn't have to stop and make a repair? (I'm sure I've read that a bottle and a half in each tyre is the right amount to prevent flats). If you go this way then maybe there's no need to worry about having to fix a flattie...

Whaddya reckon?

Guest robson

If you run a compressor through the Honda power outlet you'll simply blow the 1 amp fuse. You just need to hook it directly to the battery - they  usually come with crocodile clips for that.

You'll need about 4 CO2 cartridges to inflate a motorcycle tyre.

thanks, good tip. 

I think compressor is better as well assuming you have 12v socket, but usually those devices are a little bit big to carry around. Wonder though how many such co2 bullets I need to inflate whole tyre?

Size is so important! Actually, my air compressor fits in the palm of my hand is as big as 4 CO2 cartridges. I plug it into the "direct to battery," heated clothing pig tail I have from from under the plastic. Works handy, not only for my own bike, but have saved the trip of other riders as well.

(uh, no. I don't have a White Knight personality…I just hate to have someone out for a ride, sidelined by something as simple as a puncture. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Tex my old chum - if a person was to put in the "Slime" before hand would it automatically fix the hole so a person didn't have to stop and make a repair? (I'm sure I've read that a bottle and a half in each tyre is the right amount to prevent flats). If you go this way then maybe there's no need to worry about having to fix a flattie...

Whaddya reckon?

Absolutely right. The only downsides (that I can see, anyway) are that amount of liquid sloshing about inside a tyre might cause balance problems. And if the slime seals a puncture before the rider knows he has one, then he could potentially be riding on a damaged tyre without being aware of it.

I would certainly give it a go if I was doing a long trip to foreign parts.

Edited by Tex