installing fenda extenda

Guest robson

Guest robson

Hi, quick question do I need take off the fender to screw that extender to?

Second question  is maybe silly :) is that front fender plastic or metal?

Any problem with warranty if I attache it by myself?  I bought puig extender.

thanks 

Edited by robson
Guest kentishtiger

I superglued mine almost 2 years ago when I bought the bike. I didn't want to start drilling holes into the fender. It looks a lot better glued, and I've had no problems with it in over 21,000 miles.

Guest dentonlad

Hi, quick question do I need take off the fender to screw that extender to?

Second question  is maybe silly :) is that front fender plastic or metal?

Any problem with warranty if I attache it by myself?  I bought puig extender.

thanks 

1. No you don't, but it might make the job easier if you do

2. It's plastic

3. It will not affect your warranty.

I glued and screwed the extender to my MT03 but that has a matt black mudguard so screws look okay.

The NC I have came with an extender already fitted which was apparently glued on (definitely no sign of screws) and it's still solid after 11k miles, go with the right glue, make sure the mudguard is clean inside (I took the front wheel out of the MT when I did this) and you will be fine.

Guest robson

I superglued mine almost 2 years ago when I bought the bike. I didn't want to start drilling holes into the fender. It looks a lot better glued, and I've had no problems with it in over 21,000 miles.

I thought about it too, didn't know it can hold on firmly. Did you use regular super glue? 

Guest robson

1. No you don't, but it might make the job easier if you do

2. It's plastic

3. It will not affect your warranty.

thanks, I think I''ll glue it in that case by myself.

Mike5100

sikaflex 291 is probably better than superglue as it has some flexibility built in.  IMHO this helps in the occasioanl situation where the joint might get a harsh impact (stone sticking to tyre maybe?),  I also managed to remove one remarkably easily when I was backing the bike out of the garage and caught the fenda extenda on the doorpost,  It just peeled away far too easily and frightened me into making sure the next one was really well stuck - that's when I bought the sikaflex, but I hadn't glued it with superglue previously.  I think I had used the high strength adhesive foam from 3M - which should have worked but durty water had obviously degraded the bond.

BTW if I remember rightly it's quite easy to get the mudguard out to work on in the kitchen - rather than taking the wheel out.

Mike

Guest bonekicker

I used superglue but the more thicker sort used by the upva installers, it is also wise to put 2 different types of glue on one that dries fast to hold in place and another as Mike says sikaflex 291 that takes a lot longer to set, most adhesives that take longer to set are more flexible as well, don't use the double sided tape that comes with extenda, it fits better without, clean both surfaces well and slightly rough up parts to be stuck,put masking tape on extenda incase glue runs down, don't remove mudguard, clamp in place over night. be careful with the superglue it just loves to stick skin to skin. :D