Chain Lubrication - This May Be Controversial

Guest Southerner

I've been using WD-40 for years on chains and never had a problem. I also check all the links and rollers to make sure they're free running smoothly. I always wipe down my chain and remove excess spray and every now and again I finish off with a light oil such as 3-1. I always wipe off the excess.

You have to bear in mind though I'm not an all year round motorcyclist, so my bike doesn't suffer through some of the weather that you chaps ride in.

Edited by wozza

6,000 miles and no adjustments and chain looks fine. Key to success is definitely little and often 

Guest Southerner

Funnily enough, since starting this thread, I bought a can of WD-40 chain lube (not a wax) on the weekend.

I didn't even know that WD-40 sold such stuff, but over a casual chat in the stealer the subject arose and the stuff is, apparently, highly rated.

After a short ride yesterday I cleaned the chain and applied it. Nice and clear and not gungy.

Will let you know how it works out....  

I thought WD40 would damage the seals in O ring chains.

I have noticed rubber bands fastening the spray tube around a can WD40 always eventually perish!

WD40 is a lubricant but too thin for motorcycle chains.

manufacturers used to recommend engine oil to lubricate chains but you have to apply it regularly and there is always some fling off mess.

People talking about no chain adjustment for 19k and 16k. are they still running the original tyres ? do they do their own tyre changes ?

Perhaps they mean they have never done any chain adjustments personally, but I am sure the chain would have been adjusted when

new tyres were fitted.

Edited by Crofty

Just for the record, my chain was adjusted at 3000 miles when I had a new set of tyres fitted due to punctures. These were changed again at 9000 and the chain adjusted. at 10000 miles before a trip to eastern Europe I removed the back wheel and cleaned the chain and found a couple of tight spots. I cleaned and oiled the chain and did 5000 miles going to Bulgaria and back and now at 15000 miles I have adjusted it again. There is still some adjustment left and more wear is evident. I will remove the back wheel at the 16k service, I will clean and inspect the chain but I am hopeful that I can get it to 20000 miles before renewal.

I have used a Tutoro chain oiler since I bought the NC at 1000 miles  originally a manual one but since about 5000 miles an automatic one which I would recommended.  

Edited by Crofty
Scootabout

Had me confused for a moment, Crofty. I thought your NC had changed from a manual to an auto transmission at 5k miles, until I re-read your last para. Honda's DCT technology is clever, but not that clever, I guess!

Crofty, are you happy with 20000 miles (32000km) from a chain, considering you run an oiler? This is not a criticism, merely wondering, as I've achieved that sort of life before on various bikes, with just normal spray lube. 

WD40 will not hurt the O-rings, but it will disolve the grease if it gets behind them. That's why you don't use it as a chain lube, because it will act as a degreaser. I have used it on old bike chains and such, but it is best not to use on your O-ring or X-ring chain. It's great to spray onto an old rag to wipe down a dirty chain, but that's it. A quality chain lube is not expensive, so why not use something that is specifically designed for motorcycle chains to begin with.

I thought WD40 would damage the seals in O ring chains.

I have noticed rubber bands fastening the spray tube around a can WD40 always eventually perish!

WD40 is a lubricant but too thin for motorcycle chains.

manufacturers used to recommend engine oil to lubricate chains but you have to apply it regularly and there is always some fling off mess.

Common myth, there is rubber then there is rubber, just like there is "metal". Chain O-rings are made of stuff tolerant of normal oils and greases, my guess is it's nitrile/NBR or similar, a very common oil tolerant rubber used in auto applications for O-rings, seals and hose linings etc. Latex or natural rubbers won't tolerate mineral oils etc.

hi all , I run a small m/cycle w/shop in west sussex ( if you ever come Chichester direction please pop in , a cuppa is always on the go ), I sell and use on my nc700x  a product called ACTIV8 , they make an engine oil friction reducer lube( which works very well indeed) , they also make a chain cleaner and chain lube with the friction reducer  in  and

I use this on my own bikes , no goey mess and chain nice and clean , seems to run quieter as well

I use to work in a Honda wshop and a lot of owners manuals used to recommend ep90, not engine oil  for chains bit messy but a cheap way of lubing

Scootabout,should have said automatic chain oiler. Anyway highly recommended.

hdp  of course I would like more but it looks like this is all I am going to get.

I have had more than 20k on previous bikes but maybe since the NC is a budget bike maybe its a budget chain.

Anyway will buy an X ring chain next and see how that goes.

Edited by Crofty