New Rear disk needed!

Derek_Mac

Derek_Mac

My bike was in for its second annual service today, just before the warranty expires, and I was most surprised to be told that my rear disk was warped and would be replaced under warranty.    :shocked:

Rocker66

My bike was in for its second annual service today, just before the warranty expires, and I was most surprised to be told that my rear disk was warped and would be replaced under warranty.    :shocked:

Glad that it was spotted in time. They could have left it until it was out of warranty so that you had to pay for it. At least it shows that they checked the bike over properly

• Like 1

Glad that it was spotted in time. They could have left it until it was out of warranty so that you had to pay for it. At least it shows that they checked the bike over properly

Even when out of warranty a good manufacturer still practices goodwill. If you've followed the service schedule they'll usually pay for or contribute to failures shortly after warranty expiry. Different in USA where the law makes goodwill too expensive - if they give goodwill to one customer they're pretty much forced to give it to everybody for the same claim.

Edited by chris
Mike5100

hmmmm .... a guy on the american forum identified that some NC700 bikes had misaligned callipers - the mounting holes were drilled out of square.  The symptom was no brakes at first getting progressively better until about 10k miles when the pads had worn to such an extent that they contacted the disk evenly all over.  I can't help thinking that this uneven pressure could result in warped disk.  My bike displayed these symptoms but I parted with it so didn't need to replace the pads - which would have started the problem all over again of course.

So my suggestion is (derek) to double check the alignment of the rear calliper whilst it is still under warranty.

Mike

Derek_Mac

I'll check the callipers Mike, thanks for that suggestion.

The thing that surprised both myself and Phoenix Honda is that the bike has only done about 6.500 miles and it's not as if I use the rear brake an excessive amount. Really I only use it when the bike is finally coming to a stop, slow maneuvering, and for hillstarts. I occasionally trail the rear brake if I've been a bit enthusiastic on the way into a corner. :)

I've never really noticed any problems with the rear brake, it's always been able to trigger the ABS if I stamped on it.

Mike5100

The pictures I saw of the misaligned, badly drilled calliper mounting plate, showed the problem pretty obviously just by visual inspection.  If it looks OK it probably is OK and for some reason you have just got a warped disk.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
Derek_Mac

Just had the disk replaced last week, they also replaced the rear pads at the same time.

I've noticed a big difference during slow speed manouvering which is probably due to not having a warped rear disk. :)

I really surprised to read about a warped rear disc  -and the thought of misaligned caliper mounting plates isn't acceptable. 

Edited by wozza