nc700x 2013 snatchy

trisaki

hi has anybody else noticed , my bike with 5000 miles on the clock seems to be quite snatchy on the fuelling side of things , can anything be adjusted ? also the suspension seems quite choppy ! not particually smooth over bumps  , im sure the one I roadtested wasn't like it ,  carrying a passenger makes it worse  any thoughts ?

Guest Peterpoddy

Have you checked your chain tension? How smooth are you on the throttle? Have you ridden a twin cyclinder bike before? Twins are more responsive off the throttle than a triple or four.

Also, remember its a budget bike, and has budget suspension. So yeah, it's not got the ride quality of a more expensive bike. I've had budget bikes with soft suspension and I prefer the firmer feel of the NC. Yeah, it can be a bit harsh, but it's not really an issue as at least it tracks well through the corners rather than wallowing.

hi guys thank you for the responses , cush drive fine , chain tension - tried looser and tighter , no different , going to try the reset that ive heard about to see, as far as have I ridden a twin before , - yes ive owned  singles , twins triples fours and sixes , this I think is a very weak mixture type problem affecting a lot of new bikes , to pass emisions , feels a bit like a sticky throttle cable ( which it isn't ) , as far as suspension is concerned I may resort to a lighter oil in the forks ,

hi guys thank you for the responses , cush drive fine , chain tension - tried looser and tighter , no different , going to try the reset that ive heard about to see, as far as have I ridden a twin before , - yes ive owned  singles , twins triples fours and sixes , this I think is a very weak mixture type problem affecting a lot of new bikes , to pass emisions , feels a bit like a sticky throttle cable ( which it isn't ) , as far as suspension is concerned I may resort to a lighter oil in the forks ,

Let me know how you get on with lighter fork oil, I find the ride very harsh, fair enough as budget suspension but any little tweaks to improve would be appreciated. May go to the expense of a replacement rear shock but will wait until I've racked up more miles than my 11k 

I stripped, cleaned and re-greased the rear suspension linkage (dog bone) and found that it made the ride far more supple. If you have a centre stand and a size 14 & 17 sockets, it's a piece of cake. Went from a bit jiggly to far smoother over rough tar.

I'd thoroughly recommend Fuchs/Silkolene PRO RSF fork oil. Not all fork oil is equal (oops, not another oil debate I hope).

This site http://www.peterverdone.com/archive/lowspeed.htm is very good for info. There is a table (in white) halfway down which lists loads of commercial fork oils with the viscosity and importantly the viscosity index (VI) which is how much the vscosity changes with temperature (bigger number is better). I would suggest the NC works well with a nominal viscosity around 35cSt at 40C, and as high a VI as you can find. The PRO RSF 7.5W has a viscosity of 37cSt and VI of 322. I have used this in my Integra with quite good results.

As for the inmportance of VI, I've used some Castrol synthetic 10W (42cSt and 150VI), which while reasonably OK once warmed up, it feels like the forks are filled with treacle when cold, very hard.

Note that the nominal viscosity grade (e.g. 10W) can be pretty misleading, there is considerable overlap between different oils/grades.

The fuelling shouldn't be particularly snatchy, definitely try the "reset" first, it might help and it's free!

• Like 1

concerning the snatchy fueling , ive now done the reset and I think it is better , Honda dealer thinks his box of electronics maybe able to adjust mixture , waiting to hear back