First service just completed

Guest hpb

Took me a couple of months, but I racked up 1000km today, so called into the Honda dealer and bought an oil filter. Got home, dropped the sump plug out, bellypan off and unscrewed the oil filter. The oil came out very clean, but it was a bit smelly. Gave the chain adjustment a tweak while the oil was draining, then put everything back together and filled the sump. All done in about 20 minutes, easy peasy! My only (very minor) gripe is I wish it had an oil window rather than a dipstick. Just personal preference...my last 4 bikes were Suzuki's, and I guess I'm just used to the window. 

Guest Southerner

My only (very minor) gripe is I wish it had an oil window rather than a dipstick. Just personal preference...my last 4 bikes were Suzuki's, and I guess I'm just used to the window. 

Agree with you there - prefer a window myself.

I think its just what you get used to, after having several bikes with dipsticks I got one that had a window and wished it had a dipstick. After 7 years with that bike the next bike had a dipstick and I wished it had a window.  

I've just got into the habit of bending down and having a glance at the oil window prior to starting to my bikes over the years, it was all part of my ritual - with the dipstick, I'm much less likely to check the level. Same when refilling the oil after a change, you can just watch the level in the window as you pour the oil in, rather than funnel out, dipstick in, need to add more, funnel back in, etc. Or maybe I'm just a grumpy old bugger these days...

Apart from that though, the NC is beautifully easy to service, particularly after my last steed, a Burgman 650. I can actually see the engine on this one without disassembling half the bike!