How much play in your side stand?

fred_jb

fred_jb

There is a noticeable amount of play in my sidestand (on a new NC750X DCT).   It splays out about an inch when the weight of the bike goes onto it, which can be quite alarming at times.

It can be wiggled towards and away from the bike a similar amount by hand when the bike is on the centre stand.   I can't see anything obviously loose, it just seems that the top of the stand is not a close fit on the bracket it bolts to - maybe it needs to be packed out with a couple of washers?

I'm pretty sure my previous bikes haven't done this, at least not to the same extent, so I would be interested to hear if anyone else has the same problem.

Fred

fred_jb

OK - many thanks for the responses.  

At least I now know this is normal.  Still - I might take it off and see if a few washers will take up some of the slack.

Fred

Guest scrumpymike

That's good to know! Mine's the same, but I had put it down (no pun intended!) to an incident when the bike was being delivered to me.  After wheeling the bike down the van's ramp and into my garage, the very friendly and efficient young driver said: "Oh, I just need to take a picture of the happy owner standing next to his new bike." Before I could stop him, he was pivoting the bike round on its side-stand into a better position for his photo - grinding the sealed top surface off my garage floor in the process! He was such a nice guy - and seemed so pleased with his admittedly skillful trick - that I couldn't bring myself to complain to the supplying dealer, but I did wonder afterwards whether that had caused the excessive play in my side-stand.

mine has got lots of play as well. quite alarming sometimes

Edited by Crofty
Scootabout

This used to make me wonder if it was intentional. Happy to hear everyone's the same! By the way, I saw a dealer do that pivoting trick with a Pan once - quite impressive, although I'm not sure how much good it does to the stand.