Changing Brake Pads

Guest Nickj633

TheEnglishman

It's dead easy.  If you're changing the pads it really is a good idea to clean everything up - you don't need to take the pistons out or change fluid, but I'd recommend cleaning the assembly.  Stuck pistons are a major reason pads squeak/wear too quick/uneavenly

There's got to be loads of guides on how to achieve this on youtube

TheEnglishman

oh and buy/borrow a torque wrench - over tightening the caliper bolts will strip the threads and under tightening them doesn't bear thinking about.

Guest Neil700

I just did mine yesterday. Was really easy. Just need an 8mm & 12mm socket ans away you go. I replaced mine with sintered SBS pads and the difference is amazing. It really stops now. I would recommend bleeding both the front and rear calipers though, as I did mine and there was a fair amount if air in the system.

A quick word of warning, some sintered pads although improving the braking can wear the discs faster, so worth keeping an eye on. I wrecked a pair of front discs like this in less than 4k miles.

Riggo

• Like 1
sandalfarm

I think bleeding abs brakes is a bit more complex but I think the pads should be easy,agree about the sintered pads

TheEnglishman

I think bleeding abs brakes is a bit more complex .....

It isn't unless you've got some stupid system like early BMW R1200GS's.

Guest Peterpoddy

I think bleeding abs brakes is a bit more complex but I think the pads should be easy,agree about the sintered pads

No harder than any other bike I've ever done, although there's 3 parts to the bleed: Front lever to front calliper, rear lever to rear calliper then the link from the rear calliper to the middle front piston. Screwdriver, brake fluid, one spanner for the nipples and a bit of tube and a jam jar.

Pads are easy: Remove calliper, push back old pads with screwdriver or similar, remove old, fit new pads, refit calliper, pump pads onto disc with lever. 10 minute job? I reckon I could probably bleed the whole system and fit all new pads in well under an hour.

Can anyone tell me how easy/difficult this is on my 2012 700x? Are there any guides online that can be used?

Thanks.

Hi Nick Delboys garage on youtube has 4/5 vids on how to change pads, caliper rebuilds, Break cleans ect look at this link