Lower Cowl Removal

frazer99

Hi Folks, I'd like to check the coolant level on my NC700X. Ideally this will mean removing the lower cowl. There are two 'screws' which have an allen key fitting. I just can't get these to turn and they are starting to round off - i'm I missing something here? I thought they would be easier to undo than this. I'm worried I'll not be able to get the damn thing off.

Any thoughts/help much appreciated.

Cheer,

Frazer

dandemann8

Should be straight forward to undo and remove, I removed mine to colour code without issues... ;)

Use some WD40 to help loosen.

Edited by dandemann8
fred_jb

Hi Folks, I'd like to check the coolant level on my NC700X. Ideally this will mean removing the lower cowl. There are two 'screws' which have an allen key fitting. I just can't get these to turn and they are starting to round off - i'm I missing something here? I thought they would be easier to undo than this. I'm worried I'll not be able to get the damn thing off.

Any thoughts/help much appreciated.

Cheer,

Frazer

I had a similar problem on my new bike, so rather than persist with the allen key and risk rounding it off I used a hex bit in my socket set wrench.  This meant I could push hard to keep the bit in place while getting a lot of leverage from the handle of the wrench - worked immediately.  This was part of a cheap (£16) kit bought recently from B&Q.

Fred

Get the bike uprightish shine a torch onto the expansion tank from underneath and it sort of illuminates the coolant making the level easy to see without removing anything

• Like 1

Great stuff guys - thanks for the advice and for taking the time to reply. I'll try a hex key first (with a prior soaking of WD), then if needed i'll put in a screw slot. But....before all of that i'll try the torch option to check the level. 

Edited by frazer99

Before cutting slots - If the bolts were put in with Loctite (threadlock) you will need to use a heat gun on lower setting until they are hot to touch.