750 Integra chain adjustment

Guest Hati

I would like to get a feel as to how exactly do the Integra owners with aluminium swingarm check chain slack.

The manual says 30 mm around midway between the two sprockets. To get to near 30 mm though, the chain will touch the plastic guide on the underside of swingarm, so it's not true "stretch to top, stretch to bottom, then measure the difference" scenario.

I use the 'that feels about right' method. Not helpful to you though, I admit. Basically, take the bike off the stand and get an assistant (of roughly your weight) to sit on it and bounce, while you feel the chain. You need to know that as the suspension compresses the chain doesn't become too tight.

Sounds harder than it is.

Join me in my chain maintenance song "Oh, I should've bought a shaft drive bike, do dah, do dah"..

:D

Edited by Tex
  • Like 1

I asked myself that very question while having a look at an Integra 750 at the dealer's.

Tex, I'm doing the chords for you...

Second verse of that song goes like this: "but the shaft just shafted the precious little power I have to play with, lalala"...

The bike is due for the 1000 km service. I'll ask the shop how they do it...

On the 700 with the old swigarm I usually adjust it so it will "just" touch the chain guide on the underside when on the centre-stand.

When I had the suspension links apart to grease the bearings (very easy job, recommended), I checked where the tightest point was and it was around 60mm of wheel travel from fully extended. Might be worth trying this on the 750 for reference. I used blocks of wood under the wheel, be aware that it's quite heavy (surprisingly so?) and it's probably best not dropped down to the ground.

Set it to minimal slack at this point then see what it is when you reconnect the linkage.

IMG_1133Small_zpsf160c9a2.jpg

• Like 1

Murray as I am about to change my chain do you think the linkage greasing would be easier with the back wheel out ? 

If you've got the back wheel out it's a very simple job to undo the linkage and come to that the swingarm itself. This will let you make sure all the bearings have plenty of grease in them, Mine were actually fairly OK, to my relief, they had reasonable amounts of grease which looked spotlessly clean. I simply fully packed them with fresh grease, didn't bother cleaning them out as it can easily introduce dirt where there wasn't any.

It doesn't need any special tools, just ring spanners, sockets and an allen key or 2.

It's worth undoing the suspension bolt at the top, it is the peculiar Honda design with a long allen type head which is a close slip fit inside a bore. On the Deauville these are notorious for rusting in place, which then makes then a nightmare to get out. Do it while nearly new and grease the bolts well. This pic of the rocker has a similar bolt which is the one to the frame mount.

IMG_1121Small_zps1b7b7e05.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the top bolt tip Murray. As the bike was made in Japan I expect it to be okay,but as I am in there might as well lube it all up.

I also have a crf250 that was made in Thailand and I recently did the linkage and that was pretty dry.

• 8 months later...

On my brand new Integra I notice that when on the stand the chain is sitting on top of a plastic guide on top of the swinging arm. Looks odd but will have a chat about best method when it's in for service. I have one of the little laser guides to check the Chain is square after adjustment and have found it useful in my now departed CBF1000

Edited by pjm