is it legal to stand on the footpegs on EU roads?

Guest robson

I mean temporarily to see something better or to go around the obstacle?

I found my nc750x very nimble and stable when I stand on footpegs, almost like real adventure bike ;)

Been practicing this quite a lot offroad and I have seen from time to time some bikers to do that momentarily on regular roads

but not sure what would happen if a cop would see this...

The only legal requirement (as far as I know, anyway) is that you remain in proper control of your machine. As you could reasonably argue that standing actually increases your level of control, it would be tricky to prosecute you.

Incidentally, there is no specific law against pulling a wheelie - but it is very easy to 'prove' loss of control when the front (steering) wheel is waving about in the air.

• Like 1

I should also have mentioned that I've always found the Police to be quite fair when a session what is, or isn't, permissible. If they see you standing on the rests as you negotiate a tricky section of pot holed road covered in fallen leaves they will, likely, be a lot more favourably disposed than if they see you doing it at 40mph down a crowded high street.

Robert i stand all the time while on rides and commuting on many occasions past police i just usually get a nod or on  ocasion a smile as most are also riders and know the various reasons for standing on the pegs  ;)

Edited by DB1965

great then, I hope though the ncx footpegs are strong enough for this because they look a little bit thin and small....

Rob i big and i mean 26 st and have had no probs with the NC pegs although i have now changed these now for wider ones from sw mo-tech purely for my own comfort  :D

honda nc700x nc700s swmotech footpegs

Cheers David

great then, I hope though the ncx footpegs are strong enough for this because they look a little bit thin and small....

More than strong enough ;) AFAIK there is no restriction on standing on the footpegs and they are strong enough to withstand 150kilos even on rough roads. 

Mike5100

Very timely thread this.

On Wednesday at the local bike meet at Washington Wetlands there was an accident caused by a guy standing on his pegs (apparently)

It was at the point where bikers exit the car park and about 1% of them show off by pulling wheelies.  We assumed that's what had happened, but it was a much more inncoent cause.

The guy was riding a beautiful Suzuki retro 1400cc air cooled thing, and he stood up as many people do to let his trousers drop down.  Unfortunately at this point his front wheel dropped into a small pothole and this caused his throttle hand to rotate, squirting lots of power to the backwheel.  Observers say this caused the bike to twitch violently like a high side, and it threw the guy into the air.  It seems the bike is a write off and the ambulance crew spent about 45 minutes debating before they put the guy on a stretcher (probably broken ribs was the consensus).  This all happened at about 10mph.

.... of course it's less likely to happen with the NC (lower power) but I'm certainly going to be more cautious about doing it in future.

Mike

.... of course it's less likely to happen with the NC (lower power) but I'm certainly going to be more cautious about doing it in future.

Mike

wheele on public roads??? no thanks.   Anyway riding a bike it's all about throttle control, isn't it?

Rob i big and i mean 26 st and have had no probs with the NC pegs although i have now changed these now for wider ones from sw mo-tech purely for my own comfort  :D

Cheers David

yeah, I'm after something like this too. Stock one are very slippery on wet and mud.  

Wonder if it's generic fit or they're made specific fo ncx.

p.s.

and I thought I am big with my 16 st...   ;)

Edited by robson

Very timely thread this.

On Wednesday at the local bike meet at Washington Wetlands there was an accident caused by a guy standing on his pegs (apparently)

It was at the point where bikers exit the car park and about 1% of them show off by pulling wheelies.  We assumed that's what had happened, but it was a much more inncoent cause.

The guy was riding a beautiful Suzuki retro 1400cc air cooled thing, and he stood up as many people do to let his trousers drop down.  Unfortunately at this point his front wheel dropped into a small pothole and this caused his throttle hand to rotate, squirting lots of power to the backwheel.  Observers say this caused the bike to twitch violently like a high side, and it threw the guy into the air.  It seems the bike is a write off and the ambulance crew spent about 45 minutes debating before they put the guy on a stretcher (probably broken ribs was the consensus).  This all happened at about 10mph.

Mike

Yes but this guy was stood up sorting his 'tackle' not for the purpose of controlling the bike at slow speed as intended.

On a long run through winding country roads I would often stand up just to get my love spuds off the seat for a few minutes.

Mike5100

Yes but this guy was stood up sorting his 'tackle' not for the purpose of controlling the bike at slow speed as intended.

On a long run through winding country roads I would often stand up just to get my love spuds off the seat for a few minutes.

OK Dave, but the question was about the legality of doing it - for whatever reason.  I was raising the question of the wisdom of doing it (legal or not)

Mike

OK Dave, but the question was about the legality of doing it - for whatever reason.  I was raising the question of the wisdom of doing it (legal or not)

Mike

you can pull the wheele while seated as well so don't see really how is that relevant.

Another interesting topic. As I stand up a lot also I would like a wider pair like David.

Now my question the Chinese ones on that auction site are half the price of the Motech ones but would you trust them.

The thought of one breaking while your were standing etc etc

I have e mailed Motech to find out where their pegs are made,but I note they have a TUV certification.

Rocker66

wheele on public roads??? no thanks.   Anyway riding a bike it's all about throttle control, isn't it?

Do you not think that doing a controlled wheelie requires good throttle/clutch control? No this is not a practise that I partake in

Guest Steve700x

I stand on the pegs briefly either to get a better view in traffic (rarely necessary because the X is so high up, and as Dave H says, to give my nether regions a rest on a long ride, and to navigate a particularly vicious speed bump. Tend to do it at low speeds and yes keeping a look out for poor road surfaces.

Mike

As Tex alluded to, if you are standing on the pegs to either increase your view of the road/traffic ahead or to increase your control of the bike whilst performing slow manoeuvres on poor road surfaces (which is most of them them near me) then I can't see how anyone could prosecute you for, the only offence I can see, which is fail to have proper control of the vehicle.

If you're larking about at speed in a manner that would lead a Police officer to believe you didn't haver proper control then you ask for all you get.  In my humble opinion.

• Like 2
Rev Ken

On my recent tour in Europe and Balkans most of us spent some time standing on our footrests to ease knees and numb bums. Naturally it wasn't done when travelling at high speeds, nor in busy towns. Police took no notice.