Recomend me a torque wrench please

Dunnster

Dunnster

Hi all, could someone recommend a decent torque wrench suitable for use on maintenance for my NC. Now it's out of warranty I will be servicing the bike myself, basic stuff, oil changes, air filter, brake pads, etc.

Regards Mike.

Guest bonekicker

Mike don't buy one from Machine Mart I have had exchanged mine a digital model, twice and is still inaccurate, service dept have so call tested and calibrated but my mate works at British Aerospace in the tool stores and as tested it, and was miles out, setting at say 90 NM the true torque was 120 NM, not very good and likely to prove a very expensive diy job when stripping the threads on engine bolts. Sorry I cant recommend one I just borrow one from my mate and give it back. :ermm:      

I have 2 Teng Tools torque wrenches that have angular guages on them. One of them spans from about 5nM upwards and the other goes up to about 120nM (I don't have them in front of me so don't know the exact figures). They are good quality and a reasonable price.

Guest jonty03

I recommend the two torque wrenches available from the Halfords Professional range - my brother and I share them. I did some research before buying them (I always do!) and they were rated for their build quality & accuracy. Like with any precision equipment, you get what you pay for...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/84791/torque-wrench-reviews-2014-group-test

Happy wrenching.

Probably you'll need more than one, two... Wide range torque wrenches are very inaccurate at the edges.

I'm trying to find what is needed for periodic maintenance, too.

I have 2 Teng Tools torque wrenches that have angular guages on them. One of them spans from about 5nM upwards and the other goes up to about 120nM (I don't have them in front of me so don't know the exact figures). They are good quality and a reasonable price.

x2 i use these and had no probs

Dunnster

Thank you people, will have a closer look at the Halfrauds one and the Teng Tools

Cheers Mike.

The Halfrauds ones are popular with other bike forum members and I haven't heard any negative comments at all. A safe bet.

I have a couple of Britool (made when they were really "Britool" not just branded others, one small and one big) and an old Williams Autotorque middle sized one, all have stood the test of time and are quite accurate when I checked them. Norbar is a well respected name in torque wrenches, and Teng sockets are certainly good in my experience.

I have checked a couple of Sealey type items against my Britool and they were actually pretty close, but I suspect there may be variability.

I borrowed one from a friend that was from ToolStation and it was pretty good, never had it "tested" or whatever, but it gave good feedback, had plenty of strength to it, and seemed all around pretty good. Didn't strip any threads of rip any heads off, and at the same time nothing came undone afterwards until I intended it to...

Only advice I do offer is don't buy a digital one, sure they're very fancy and what not, but you're dealing with nuts and bolts, not resistors and caps. A mechanical job is always better with a mechanical tool IMO. 

Dunnster

Will probably buy a mechanical one when I decide which to get, thanks Brosh.

I have the Challange torque wrench from Argos and had no problems with it

Edited by tc3

Halford offer a lifetime guarantee with a lot of their tools, including torque wrenches.  I have a bigun & a smallun.

I've the halfords one good reports and quality is good. Lifetime warranty so store the receipt safely.

Thanks Murray. Out of interest, what drive size would be best?

It depends whether you've already got the sockets or not really, but if starting from scratch I'd suggest begin with 3/8" drive and get hexagon sockets rather than bi-hex (12 point). The hex design drives on the flats rather than the corners, so pretty much impossible to round them off. 3/8" will usually cope happily up to M10/17mm hex head size, although sets usually come with sockets up to 22mm. Fine if they're not too tight but you need to be a little cautious at that size with a 3/8" drive. I'd suggest that is really into 1/2" drive territory, things like wheel spindles. I think the 3/8" drive torque wrenches usually can range something like 10 to 80Nm or so, that covers most bike stuff except wheel spindles or gearbox sprockets on some bikes (the NC g/box sprocket is held on with a small bolt at modest torque). 10Nm is the nominal for an M6 bolt, but be cautious if working right at the end of a torque wrench scale. Just don't use a torque wrench for anything other than tightening to the value, some folk seem to think they are for undoing really tight bolts.

When working on bikes the first thing I reach for is a Britool 1/4" drive socket set like this

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/britool-expert-42-piece-14-socket-set

They can be had a lower price if you hunt around. Just the most useful set of tools to have, especially with the driver bits held in their own sockets. That set will do all the M6 stuff, the crosshead screws on bodywork, screens, switchgear etc. Really useful.

I've just picked up a "clone" set from Screwfix which is on offer at the moment, so I can take relevant items in the tool kit when touring (I don't like splitting up my "best" sets in case stuff gets lost). Quality isn't as good as the Britool, but it seems OK for occasional use.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-socket-set-43-pieces/4933c

If you want just sockets I've found the Machine Mart Clarke Pro range to be fairly decent quality and very good value when I've needed items I haven't already got, like some big hex bit sizes and some Torx bits. Halfords Pro range is decent quality too.

• Like 2
Guest scrumpymike

=1 for Halfords Professional. Can also vouch for the lifetime warranty, as I returned a digital vernier after 3 years and they exchanged it without question.

• 1 year later...
Joeyjoejnr

I already have a torque wrench that covers 28Nm -200Nm. I'm going to pick up the halfords one that covers 8Nm - 60Nm. Will this range cover most jobs on the NC? I'm going to tackle the valve clearance soon and I'm worried about how many people stripped the threads in the of fitting the cover back on the engine.

TheEnglishman

Get a 3/8" torque wrench - mines from Halfords  You don't need it amazingly accurate - just ball park, so don't go to Snap On!  Remember to slacken it off after using it or you'll stretch the spring and push it out of accuracy.

A 1/2" drive one is useful if you're not amazingly strong.  Look out for bargains on websites and at shows.

• Like 1
Joeyjoejnr

Get a 3/8" torque wrench - mines from Halfords  You don't need it amazingly accurate - just ball park, so don't go to Snap On!  Remember to slacken it off after using it or you'll stretch the spring and push it out of accuracy.

A 1/2" drive one is useful if you're not amazingly strong.  Look out for bargains on websites and at shows.

The 3/8'' wrench is the one im buying. €99 but alot of different fourms recommend and alot say halfords stands over the warranty.