NC750X DCT Rear Pads

mcress

Just had a Honda Dealer tell me that "Fitting EBC Pads to my bike will invalidate the warranty......"

Joke or what???

gotta cover his overheads!

Guest bonekicker

Mike I agree with doing our own jobs to save money, but we have to play the warranty game with them, just change them your self for originals and don't tell them, then when out of warranty put what ever suits you in the brakes.  :blink:

Hey Mike, ask them if fitting the pads invalidates the warranty on the rear pads? The rear brake? Or the whole machine? Then ask him to explain how a change of pad invalidates the warranty on, say, the alternator? I'd love to know.

Yes its a bit like having a non franchised dealer do servicing -it DOESN'T invalidate a warranty.That's another EU law -well the overpaid buggers have to make some GOOD rules now any again.Another is a EU ruling that new articles have a 2 year warranty -not one -despite what the makers put on their documents.So an CE stamped item should be covered for 2 years!

You're right. I can only find petition 1541/2008 to include motorcycle industry, but my findings may be incomplete...

Rocker66

I spoke with the dealer concerned and was assured that what he actually said was that the EBC pads tend to wear the disc faster than the Honda ones and sometimes warp them. If the EBC pads were fitted the owner may have problems if he tried to claim new discs under warranty

As a matter of interest when Sue fitted Galpher discs to her previous Hornet she was advised by Galpher to use either their own pads or Honda ones rather than EBC for the reasons given above

glencoeman

I think most of the problems associated with wear on discs by EBC pads are created by using HH rated pads and not the standard organic pads. You don't really need HH rated brake pads for normal road use.

Rocker - your reply is incorrect - what he actually said was that 'Fitting EBC Pads would invalidate the warranty'

He did Not say 'EBC pads tend to wear the disc faster than the Honda ones and sometimes warp them. If the EBC pads were fitted the owner may have problems if he tried to claim new discs under warranty'

Not to me, anyway......

Rocker66

In that case it must have been to somebody else because the mechanic said exactly the same thing and no he hadn't heard what the dealer told me.

Guest bonekicker

Why doe's our Glorious Government not what us to have 2 years warranty like the rest of europe? When we lived in Spain it was 2 years warranty on everything, but they had a silly rule that it would take up too 90 days to make any repairs and it usually did, but then again it takes that long and more in UK.  :frantics:

Mcress fit them and when your disc go all wobbly :0) you can tell you self you've got abs with the pulsing

Guest motorboy

I love EBC HH pads use them as replacement on all my bikes never wore out a disk.As far as your dealer the first thing that came to my mine is being it's a DCT- ABS and the ECU gets a lot of it's info from the wheels the ABS might not work right with such grippy pads. I know Honda says to only use OEM pads on ABS bikes for that reason..

I love EBC HH pads use them as replacement on all my bikes never wore out a disk.As far as your dealer the first thing that came to my mine is being it's a DCT- ABS and the ECU gets a lot of it's info from the wheels the ABS might not work right with such grippy pads. I know Honda says to only use OEM pads on ABS bikes for that reason..

That sounds like Honda promoting the sale of OE pads to me. Think about it. Are they saying that grippy pads will stop the wheel turning faster than the ECU can 'think'? Tosh. If you fitted the best pads in the world and coated them in superglue you couldn't beat the response time of the computer!

That said, I rather like the feel of the brakes on my bike (on OE pads) the braking effort is linear to the pressure applied which makes 'delicate' control on greasy surfaces very easy.

Guest Kildareman

The Galfer reasoning above doesn't hold water since they list their pads as equivelent to ebc, whether "normal" or HH.  Personally I use HH front and rear.  Don't worry about disc wear as the disc's are a consumable part - like the pads in fact.  Just the pads wear quicker than the discs. 

If you want good working brakes though I would suggest cleaning your calipers every couple of months, including rotating the pistons - with piston pliers, to clean the full circumference.  Only other tools you need, apart from those required to remove the caliper from the bike are good thumb nails for scraping and a little white spirit.  Wipe on white spirit onto grime, scrape off with thumb nail.  Don't use screw driver unless you really know what you're doing otherwise you'll scratch the piston leading to premature wear etc.  Thumb nails don't scratch pistons.

Rocker66

The Galfer reasoning above doesn't hold water since they list their pads as equivelent to ebc, whether "normal" or HH.  Personally I use HH front and rear.  Don't worry about disc wear as the disc's are a consumable part - like the pads in fact.  Just the pads wear quicker than the discs. 

Well I can assure you that is what my wife was told when she bought her Galpher wavy discs

• Like 1