can you charge battery through 12V socket?

Guest robson

just tried charging through 12V socket and it went OK, started charging fine. Then when I switched different mode a fuse probably blown

because no more power in socket. My question is where U can find that fuse, where they could hide it?

Hi Robert,

The fuses located in the battery compartment in frunk. You will need to unscrew two screws at the top, removed the cover, the fuses are located on the left behind a fuse box cover. On the of the cover is a tab which you must press down on them pull the cover towards you an down. Photos in my gallery with sections highlighted. 

storage

Fuse

Hi Robert,

The fuses located in the battery compartment in frunk. You will need to unscrew two screws at the top, removed the cover, the fuses are located on the left behind a fuse box cover. On the of the cover is a tab which you must press down on them pull the cover towards you an down. Photos in my gallery with sections highlighted. 

thanks Thomas, appreciate it. 

No I was right, it is in the feed to the accessory socket.

It's not too hard to get to; have a look at 

That should help, but note that you don't need to remove the last panel he takes off. (The one with the front indicator attached.)

No I was right, it is in the feed to the accessory socket.

It's not too hard to get to; have a look at 

That should help, but note that you don't need to remove the last panel he takes off. (The one with the front indicator attached.)

I don't think so, on this video clip he has fuse and relay in fuse box, I don't have  these

and I didn't see any other inline fuse he used.

MikeBike

I don't think so, on this video clip he has fuse and relay in fuse box, I don't have  these

and I didn't see any other inline fuse he used.

Have a look at 4:23 in Part 3 video. Maybe the white plastic box like section is a separate fuse?

See also instructions for 12V socket here which shows the steps in the video and the part (3) shown in the video.

MikeBike

robson's is installed without the relay and fuse he says, so maybe good there is a fuse inline for protection in such installs.

well if that is true I can only congratulate honda the most stupid design I have ever seen...

To get there I would need to take the whole side cover off which which is crazy man work just to

change freaking fuse...

p.s.

imagine your fuse blown during desert trip and you have to change it just to charge your navi...

Edited by robson

The only time I ever had problems with a cigarette lighter type socket was on my BMW when I added a fused one directly to the battery. It worked fine for charging the bike with an Optimate but whenever I tried connecting a Satnav or similar after a while it would blow the fuse - riddle me that!

On my NC the dealer added an optimate lead so the charger just goes straight onto that while I have a fused direct to battery socket (Oxford) on the bars for satnav etc.

BMW is using CANBUS, so everything must be compatible with it. Optimate has a compatible plug...