Bike won't start - help!

Steve Blackdog

Steve Blackdog

Battery seems fine.  When you turn the ignition you get a "click click' and then a whirring.

Sounds like a starter motor problem, but I hope not.

Any ideas?

All the best

Steve

trisaki

Stick it in gear rock it too and fro with clutch in till you feel it free back into neutral then hit start button assuming its a manual version / with ign off put a meter across battery terminals should be about 12.5 volts now turn ign on if drops below 12 v battery cream crackered

Sounds just like low battery to me, enough juice to light up the dash and switch the starter solenoid on, but not enough to make the starter engage. It'll spin the starter with very little current but it needs to accelerate up to speed rapidly in order to get the starter to engage. If the battery can't deliver enough current the starter won't spin up quickly enough.

Is the starter motor just spinning (whirr) or is the engine actually turning?

Fully charge battery first, then see if it'll start.

You can use jump leads from another battery, but it's safest not to do it from a running car for example, just attach jump leads (carefully).

it could be bad battery connectors, but looks like low battery to me.   What makes you think battery is fine?

Checking battery with your tongue is not a proof.

Edited by robson

it could be bad battery connectors, but looks like low battery to me.   What makes you think battery is fine?

Checking battery with your tongue is not a proof.

long distance viewing!! ahh the wonders of ow language  :angel:

As already said. Sounds like flat battery. I was lucky enough to be able to recharge mine when it happened shortly after buying the bike. Never had the problem since then. Good luck.

Steve Blackdog

Thanks guys -  maybe too many short trips to the Co-op in the dark!

I'll go put her on trickle charger and see what happens tomorrow.

All the best

Steve

Steve Blackdog

Hi everyone

Well, thankfully, you guys were spot on.  I charged up the battery and all systems go!

I've left it on the battery conditioner and will take it out for a good run (provided it doesn't snow tomorrow)!

Thanks again - great forum this.

Cheers

Steve