NC 750X PGM - FI Malfunction indicator

stordz

O wise ones...............

I had the PGM - FI Malfunction indicator light up on the way home yesterday, I pulled over, stopped and restarted the engine and all appeared to be OK for the remaining 1 mile home........ is this normal, has this ever happening to any of you or is this a sign of more trouble to come? 

I've dropped the dealer a note and will see what he says

Thanks in advance

An update, the dealer has replied and feels that it is probably down to a faulty dashboard assembly which will be swapped out in due course, they are happy for me to bring the bike in and one of their techs to check it over with a diagnostic machine.

As per your first question, no it's not "normal", the MIL is not supposed to come on at random intervals, only when something is detected as not being right. Can it happen on occasion, either correctly or falsely, well yes it can, essentially the reason it's there is to flag when it's not working within specified boundaries but it can be false.

The most common reason for false warnings is likely to be connectors, either intermittent loss of signal or possibly voltage drops to sensors etc. Occasionally some sensors may have an intermittent internal fault, depending on what they are. It also depends a bit on how close to the normal operating point the engineers have set the fault threshold. That's a balance between getting the system to identify faults as soon as possible and not making false indications. Sometimes if the battery volts drop for example it could possibly potentially cause a fault to be flagged when it isn't really there. Engineers try to avoid false flags as much as possible for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

Could be worse

It could be a bee emm

Or a total tragedy

a Harley

:0) merry Christmas

Rocker66

Could be worse

It could be a bee emm

Or a total tragedy

a Harley

:0) merry Christmas

So sad. Not only does this man not like HDs but he supports WHU. Not much hope for him I'm afraid  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

So sad. Not only does this man not like HDs but he supports WHU. Not much hope for him I'm afraid  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

To be honest with ,did you hear that closet door slam ? Well that's me coming out I love an Harley , always used to lust over what was I think called a" Sport"a fore runner to the xr1200 which I'm keen on.

one sat in a shop in Camden back in the 80s not typical of Harley but was an attempt at race styleDaytona inspired bike.

Looked them up recently and are quite rare , seems like 20k to buy so still lusting :0)

• Like 1

Mine came on once. The engine sounded and felt rough and there was a lack of power, also fuel consumption went to about 10 miles a litre. Stopped the bike after a few miles started it again and all back to normal. It was not the reading that was at fault but the engine management. Honda at Sutton did a quick diagnostic check and all was ok, but the fault would have been recorded on the engine management system they said. Not sure if it will be there now as new clocks fitted.

Nic Lancaster Lichfield.

Thanks for the feedback all, much appreciated.

Ref Nico's post, bear in mind that with certain fault codes it will probably go into "limp home mode" where it believes there is a fault which could potentially cause damage, so it switches to a mode of running which will keep you moving but will avoid the damaging condition.

For example as discussed elsewhere there may well be a misfire detection function, which if left alone could result in the catalyst oveheating (the unburnt fuel/air mix from a misfiring cylinder will react in the catalyst and release all its heat there). Under these circumstances it would probably switch off the fuel to that cylinder and revert to a base fuelling map for the other, allowing you to continue moving but at much lower power (and rough running). I don't know what limp home modes the NC has if any, but that's the kind of thing you get in cars so there may well be similar features in the NC.

Some faults codes are known as "latching" where they will light the MIL until reset by the dealer, others are "non-latching" which will only show while the received fault persists. These will usually reset by themselves when you switch off/on, and if it was a false or temporary fault then it will stay clear. If you get these faults indicated which clear again, just keep a note and see if it happens again. If it happens more than once then it needs investigating.

• Like 1
steelhorseuk

Hi Roy,

I had this problem when I was on a south coast run from Bexhill-On-Sea to Brighton back in July. (NC700SA)

Engine management light came on about half way through the journey and the ECU put the bike into 'limp mode' 

I checked it over the next day and discovered the positive feed from the battery terminal had come loose.

I tightened and the next day we went home (150 miles) without a problem. 

It may just be something as simple as that mate ...

-Mark-

• Like 1

I had an intermittent light,no problems though,.when next passing my dealer they plugged their computer in and it read fault on O2 sensor but it turned out to be a loose connection

Guest stevieb

There is now a recall on the bikes for the dashboard assembly. Mine went in for it's 600 mile service last week and they put a brand new  dash assembly on at the same time

I had an intermittent light,no problems though,.when next passing my dealer they plugged their computer in and it read fault on O2 sensor but it turned out to be a loose connection

Yep, that's the most common issue.