Oil filter question

Guest Badger77

Guest motorboy

The Honda factory filter is the correct filter all others are substitutes.But if you must the Highflo 204 and the K&N 204 are the closest to the factory filters.

Guest Neil700

If you like , you can cross reference the Champion F308 on the Fram USA site. The most likely difference is that the filter body may be a tad bit longer, but it will still fit fine.

Guest Badger77

The Honda factory filter is the correct filter all others are substitutes.But if you must the Highflo 204 and the K&N 204 are the closest to the factory filters.

Thanks, but my local Honda dealer is hopeless, so the chances of them giving me the correct filter will be slim.

I use Champion filters in my other bikes, but their catalogue is not up to date, just thought that someone might know which Champion would be compatible. My guess is an F308.

Cheers

trisaki

Oil filter / on the Wemoto site hiflo 204 / the other one they list is a chrome bodied one / honda use two types o/e filters for whole range of bikes not inc the older paper type

steelhorseuk

The K&N oil filter is far superior to the Honda OEM.

Happy New Year everyone...

-Mark -

I dont trust my local Honda dealer so I buy online from Lings.

Guest motorboy

The K&N oil filter is far superior to the Honda OEM.

Happy New Year everyone...

-Mark -

Other than the 17mm nut on the end why do you think the filter is superior, equal maybe? superior please explain

Guest motorboy

Oil filter / on the Wemoto site hiflo 204 / the other one they list is a chrome bodied one / honda use two types o/e filters for whole range of bikes not inc the older paper type

I think if you check a bit father you will find about 5 years ago Honda dropped the longer of the two filters and are useing only the short one the 204 Hiflo is the short the 303 Hiflo is the long both work the same if there is room on bikes like the NT700 not enough room for the 303   the NC can use either one

Guest bonekicker

Are we changing to a different make of filter-- to pay less?--or are they most efficient?---because the filter is one of the most important service parts, so we need to get it right ???  :bye:

steelhorseuk

Other than the 17mm nut on the end why do you think the filter is superior, equal maybe? superior please explain

Hi Robert, Happy new year to you. Apart from the bolt on the end as you say, check out the superior filtration on the K&N. Its a power upgrade aswell don't forget.

-Mark-

In the calsci link above there is a line..... (quote)

"I received an email from Suzuki of Victoria, informing me that a Hayabusa they took in for service showed no oil pressure. They found the cause was an aged anti-drainback valve on a Hi-Flo filter that would not open, thus cutting off all oil pressure to the entire engine. K&N filters are made by Hi-Flo, so these filters are also suspect."

I generally like the calsci stuff, there is a lot of common sense. It is of course necessary to apply some independent "relevancy tests" to any such discussions, it's fine to quote filtration efficiencies for various particle sizes, but what are the actual particle sizes encountered in your engine and what are the sizes which do the damage?

There are many oil filter examinations (as the calsci link gives at the end) and they come to a number of conclusions. Read and digest, then make your own decisions. Personally I use the Honda OE (Toyo Roki) filters quite happily, Honda are not in the business of retailing sub-standard consumables, the filters are perfectly adequate for the purpose (in my humble opinion). I wasn't impressed when I got my Integra which had 2k miles on it with one service by a (then) Honda main agent, only to find a non-OE filter fitted, it looked superficially similar to the Honda one but had none of the relevant printing on it.

As I always say with such issues like oil or filters, it's your bike, use whatever you want.

• Like 2
Guest motorboy

Thanks EMBEE I think you said it all in your post and I agree totally you saved me a post of looking it up on calsci thats where I also get my oilfilter info..