indicator lenses broken!

Guest quivite

Guest quivite

Hiya all,

As I was cleaning my NC I noticed that the lens of the front left indicator had come loose and was only hanging by its screw. As it turned out, the little hook had cracked and ,luckily
for me, not completely broken off. So I was able to "repair" it with a drop of chloroform.
To be on the safe side I checked the other lenses and saw that, except the rear right, these too suffered stress cracks. Though not the little hooks, but the eyes where the little bush sits in.

Today I will go to my dealer and ask for replacement.

My NC is from March this year and has done 11.000 kms

Here are some images to know where to look if you want to check the lenses on your bike:

Front left with "repaired" hook:

indicator%20lens%20front%20left%20repair

Front right with stress crack:

indicator%20lens%20front%20right.jpg

Rear left with stress cracks:

indicator%20lens%20rear%20left.jpg

Waiting for better weather,

Dick

thanks for the tip, will keep an eye out for that...

Hiya all,

As I was cleaning my NC I noticed that the lens of the front left indicator had come loose and was only hanging by its screw. As it turned out, the little hook had cracked and ,luckily

for me, not completely broken off. So I was able to "repair" it with a drop of chloroform.

To be on the safe side I checked the other lenses and saw that, except the rear right, these too suffered stress cracks. Though not the little hooks, but the eyes where the little bush sits in.

Today I will go to my dealer and ask for replacement.

My NC is from March this year and has done 11.000 kms

Here are some images to know where to look if you want to check the lenses on your bike:

Front left with "repaired" hook:

indicator%20lens%20front%20left%20repair

Front right with stress crack:

indicator%20lens%20front%20right.jpg

Rear left with stress cracks:

indicator%20lens%20rear%20left.jpg

Waiting for better weather,

Dick

hiya i see you are on a 750 surly this would be covered under warranty its not a consumable the bike can't be more than a year old ? yeath just finished reading the whole post as you are doing let us know if they replace for you  :thumbsup:

Edited by DB1965

Hi all,,,,, I have ripped off my rear indicator,,I know this will cost abit to replace ,,so am thinking of replacing the whole set of that auction site with some cheapies,,,can anyone recommend any,,,but I do not like those pointed ones.....regards

• 4 weeks later...
Guest quivite

Chloroform is the best for repairing most hard plastics, esp. acrylic.

It dissolves the surfaces to be repaired and with a with a bit of pressure it forms a weld, unlike a glue that stays an intermediate layer. It takes some time to diffuse and reach full strength, so best to leave it for a day or so. 

Use it for kitchen appliances and lots of other small broken items.

Be aware that when you want to buy it at a local pharmacy, they can be reluctant to sell and need a bit of persuading. Its use to bond plastics is unknown to most people.

One other thing: use a very tight container, or it could be empty after  a year.

Thanks for the tip

Tried it , but kept falling asleep .