Handguards fitted on new NC750X keep coming loose

Guest bikingyogi

Guest bikingyogi

Some 600 miles on my lovely new while NC750x and I am still really happy with the bike.   Like a number of others I have had niggles with sliding (pushing !) the key into the ignition but otherwise all generally very good.  

All except one other thing...  I had Acerbis hand guards fitted by the dealer (along with LED lights) and, again, I am generally happy with them but have found that they work loose after a few hundred miles.   I have tightened the internal allen bolts as much as I dare but the guards still move too easliy and gradually work loose from the bars.

When I took the bike into the dealer for its first service I mentioned the loose hand guards but the mechanics said there was nothing they can do....

Now, my opinion is that if they fitted the accessory then it should be up to the job.   If I had been told by the dealer that Acerbis hand guards were incompatible with the bike then I would have gone elsewhere but I was told it would be no problem fitting them (for professional mechanics).

So, my question is should I pursue the dealers on this matter even if it is not a bike warranty problem per se.     Does anyone have any other experience in this area ?

Cheers

Guest bonekicker

Nick are the handguards loose at the other end to bolt? Mine were fitted the same and were flapping and vibrating, I can take a picture of the little brackets and ties which solved the problem. :yes:

The mechanics will fit lot's of these hand guards and charge us enough for the privilege.

The product should be fit for use and that must include coming loose all the ****** time. :frantics:

Email them with a formal complaint and take a copy in with you to the dealers, I honestly don't know if you will get anywhere, when you have bought and paid for bike it seem's the dealer's (some) dont give a flying ****. :angry:  

Guest dentonlad

Hi Nick,

Assuming it was the dealer that sold them to you as well as fitting them look at the Sale of Goods Act - if they are not fitted satisfactorily and do not do what they are supposed to, then they aren't fit for purpose and you have a claim under the Act.

Even if they just fitted them they should do the job properly and ensure that they aren't loose. If they weren't suitable they should have said so.

I'd be complaining to the owner or service manager. If they can't fit handguards I wouldn't let them anywhere near the engine or other vital moving parts!

Please tell us which dealer it is.......

Guest Murcuseo

Hey Yogi,

Are you getting any vibration through the bars? It may be that you need some extra weights on the bars to stop them vibrating and the bolts may hold steady.

TheEnglishman

Of course it's is a warranty issue.  It's the warranty between you and the shop you bought them from and had them fitted.

If they say they can't fix them then get a full refund - I'd angle to get the fitting cost back too.

The Sale of Goods act clearly states goods should be fit for purpose.  If they keep coming loose then clearly they're not.

And be polite but firm and keep stating you'd like your money back.  they'll try all sorts of weasel ways to get out of paying you.  And don't accept vouchers or 'free' servicing' options either.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nireland/consumer_ni/consumer_common_problems_with_products_e/faulty_goods_e/what_is_meant_by_goods_not_fit_for_purpose.htm

Edited by TheEnglishman
Guest scrumpymike

Sounds like they didn't thread-lock the machine screws before re-fitting to stop them coming loose. That's what my dealer did after fitting Honda heated grips.

bikerbampi

I think I would go back to the dealer and ask if anything can be done to remedy the problem.

I wouldn't go playing hardball just yet, try appealing to their sense of keeping the customer happy first, you never know it could solve the problem without there having to to be any nastiness.

• Like 1
dandemann8

Had my Acerbis handguards on since March, fitted by myself I might add and no problem here. I think it depends what parts in the fitting kit they use to expand the locking bar into place, have since added a handlebar brace to negate any vibration after removing the end weights to fit the handguards... ;)

I'm with Peter. I'd initially just go in and say 'Come on chaps, this really isn't good enough..' Especially as a few drops of Loctite will probably solve the problem.

I saw a Triumph Tiger 1050 with hand guards that had built in led lights coming the other way - really effective!

Guest bikingyogi

Thanks for the helpful replies.   I'll be popping along to the dealer (Lings) later this week to have a chat about the problem.   Like Simon and Peter said, I'll be taking the "keep me a happy customer" approach for now to see where that goes.

Michael, the guards are loose where they are bolted into the bars but, I understand, the bar weights are still in place.  I am not aware of any vibration in the bars (but then my previous bike was a Versys 650 so most bars will feel less vibey).

The topic is a little less straightforward as I ordered the handguards for the new bike myself as the dealer did not deal with that particular supplier but it was part of my purchase agreement that they would fit any accessories for me free of charge.   

Amusingly, I did originally suggest loctite to the mechanics but this was rejected.     I personally think some sort of shim is required as the allen bolts feel as if they are screwed out to the max.

dandemann8

Thanks for the helpful replies.   I'll be popping along to the dealer (Lings) later this week to have a chat about the problem.   Like Simon and Peter said, I'll be taking the "keep me a happy customer" approach for now to see where that goes.

Michael, the guards are loose where they are bolted into the bars but, I understand, the bar weights are still in place.  I am not aware of any vibration in the bars (but then my previous bike was a Versys 650 so most bars will feel less vibey).

The topic is a little less straightforward as I ordered the handguards for the new bike myself as the dealer did not deal with that particular supplier but it was part of my purchase agreement that they would fit any accessories for me free of charge.   

Amusingly, I did originally suggest loctite to the mechanics but this was rejected.     I personally think some sort of shim is required as the allen bolts feel as if they are screwed out to the max.

I'm guessing here they've used the wrong cone tightening wedges if the bolts feel at there max, I had the same issue before changing to the bigger ones which did the job..... ;)