Grease - or the lack of it.

baben

baben

After 2500 miles my tyres were shot so I got my friendly local mechanic to change them. This is a chap I know well, does a conscientious job at a reasonable price. Half way through wanders into the office waving the rear spindle at me - "amazing, new bike and no grease on it". Might be worth checking when you get yours changed folks.

TheEnglishman

Yea - the mechanic at my first service mentioned the same.

I think the PDI check list is frankly crap.  Or dealers are cutting corners.  Or both.

But you know me - I'm a cynical old git.

Guest bonekicker

The little Japaneses line assembly worker who's job it was to grease these motocycle parts as been imprisoned for 3 years after selling 2000 liters of grease online  :ermm:

I think some mechanic's should serve a little time just learning how to service our bikes properly (some) :blink:

trisaki

I posted some time back about lack of grease on my suspension links absolutley bone dry needle roller bearings _ also greased my brake pad pins and wheel spindles still to do swingarm spindle / costs the factory money to use grease / have to check headrace bearings but that's a bit more involved

TheEnglishman

I posted some time back about lack of grease on my suspension links absolutley bone dry needle roller bearings _ also greased my brake pad pins and wheel spindles still to do swingarm spindle / costs the factory money to use grease / have to check headrace bearings but that's a bit more involved

I've had to bleed my brakes as well.  Way more air in the front line than there should have been.

trisaki

Yes I bleed my brakes as well / did feel a lot better afterwards

• 2 weeks later...

Tyres shot after 2500 miles ? :shocked:

Yep. Nice and grippy while they lasted but not really long lasting! Got some BT023s on now so they should last a little longer. It's not as if I do any two up work or am a hard rider either.

• 2 weeks later...
Scootabout

Gawd. Threads like this make me paranoid. You might not find something like that out until, what, 2 months out of warranty, when the rear wheel seizes up. Let's hope it's rare, cos I'm not about to attempt to dismantle the bike to check all that stuff.