NC750X Accessory sub harness - there or not there......

RichardC

A little help needed to un-confuse me !

I have an NC750X DCT and had the dealer fit honda heated grips. I now wish to hard-wire a GPS power supply and camera. I'd assumed the dealer had fitted the sub-harness to power the heated grips, but before removing the side panels decided to look in the fuse box to check for the relay/ sub-harness. I attach a photo of what I found.

I can only compare it to layouts I've found on the web which are all 700X's. They all show the accessory relay in the top left and nothing in the top right. Mine has a relay in the top right (Start Relay) and nothing top left (OP relay) I'm guessing "Op relay" means Optional Relay????.   If so, I suppose the dealer bodged the grip installation and left out the sub-harness somehow.

Obviously I don't want to buy another harness and relay if, in fact there is one there already, but I don't want to strip the side to find out. If anyone has a 750X with sub-harness fitted, can confirm the arrangement / if there's a harness already fitted, I'd be really grateful.

Hope this makes sense.

post-3128-0-32479600-1420991955_thumb.jpg

Hi Richard, I’ve got a 750X and have had a look at the fuse cover which differs to your photo. I’ve not got the start relay which is blanked out but have the Op relay. I’m not sure what that relates to without researching it further.

Thinking about the sub harness,  I suppose it depends on the dealer and their preference on routing/placing sub harness arrangements I should imagine. Others on the forum may be able to give you more advice on that. At the moment I've got the side panels removed on my NC for almost the same reason as you. Can take some photos to show you if you wish to help?

I want to install some additional day time running lights, and had it on good authority from the previous owner of my NC that his dealer fitted a sub-harness from new to accommodate heated grips. Trouble was I couldn’t see/verify what was what and could only trace the heated grips cabling so far. My local dealer didn’t seem interested in fitting the lights, so following the forum advice on this subject I thought I’d give it a go myself as a bit of a novice.

I took the nearside side panels off yesterday, which with the benefit of following a YouTube video for guidance, found it fairly straight forward. The sub harness was tucked in on the nearside just forward of the front edge of the seat position.

I’ve now worked out what I need for connecting the lights up and have the panels off for a few days whilst I get the connectors.

I can send you the photos if that helps. Sounds like you have no choice but to also have a look to also verify what is where.

Edited by RussB644
Guest bonekicker

Richard it is confusing presuming the dealer fitted a sub harness!!! it's not confusing really they probably didn't, it's not confusing it's disappointing, and even more disappointing if they have charged you for one being fitted and you find they have connect it direct to battery via a fused spur, I just like some other member's have gone through the very same, without being bitter and twisted about little-- No-- Big important issues like this-- the only advice is to check any work they have done and bring it to the workshop manager's attention-- it will be embarrassing and they will of course deny any wrong doing. :BangHead:

Take Care it's a Dog Eat Dog sort of ****** World. :puppeh:   :muttley:   

Edited by bonekicker

I think I watched the same YouTube videos, Russ. I compared my fuse-box to what was shown and the difference became apparent to me, so I then looked for other sources to confirm my suspicions but all I could find were 700X's. Photo's would be appreciated at your leisure as I'm in no particular rush to get the job done. Happened to be sunny today and had a few hours spare. As a matter of interest where are you getting the connectors? I'll be needing them when I sort the immediate problem out.

I take your point, Michael - I'll call the dealer tomorrow to see what they say, but I guess if I didn't say that I wanted the sub-harness (not knowing there was such a thing) they'll say they did what they were asked. Guess there a lesson - always specify the work and check the dealers' work, not just assume they follow best practice!! Corners are there to be cut and a little more profit to be made. 

It could be, of course, that the harness is hiding somewhere....... Let's hope :) 

For connectors I followed the previous forum discussion at the below url:

www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/5598-honda-subharness-connector-blocks/

And although I don't often use that well known purchasing site for anything much I was looking at Mini-Latch-Wiring-Connector-Set-2-8mm-3-way-black.

I'll grab some photos tomorrow then and I'll message you for an email address to send them to if that helps.

Russ

Edited by RussB644
fred_jb

If the optional relay and fuse are not fitted, then I think you can be fairly sure that the official sub-harness is not being used, because it is my understanding that it needs the relay and fuse in order to be made live.

When I bought the Honda sub-harness I'm pretty sure it stated that I would need the relay kit too, which is why I bought that, though have yet to fit it.   Incidentally, I'm not impressed by the standard of construction of the Honda sub-harness.  It has lots of thin wires for the four plugs, with several wires crimped to each of the equally thin wires which go back to the plug which connects to the main wiring loom

It also omits the brake and indicator signals which are present on the main loom socket and which are potentially useful for things like indicator warning lights/bleepers, so I am intending to build my own replacement sub-harness.

Fred

Edited by fred_jb

Richard, quick way to see if the grips are wired directly to battery (as I suspect they are) is to have a look at the battery terminals and see if there are any additional metal "O" connectors.  Should be fairly obvious if there are that they are routed back up to the grips.

TT

• 2 weeks later...
TheEnglishman

You'll kind of have to take the side panels off to route any additional cables nicely anyway. I can't imaging installing the honda grips without the harness. It's more work and would cost more that just fitting the harness.

Bite the bullet and lose your plastic popper refitting virginity. And possibly your sanity at the same time.

Oh and remember to buy the connector from that Internet auction site as fitting your gps will be really easy.

Edited by TheEnglishman
fred_jb

You'll kind of have to take the side panels off to route any additional cables nicely anyway. I can't imaging installing the honda grips without the harness. It's more work and would cost more that just fitting the harness.

I'm intending to have my panels off once only.

While they are off I will install an extension cable to bring the socket on the main loom (the one which the accessories harness normally plugs into) into the space above the battery.   The plugs and sockets required to do this are readily available.  Thereafter I will route all accessory cables into the battery compartment and connect them to my own shorter version of the accessory harness which will plug into the socket on the end of my extension cable.

Could get a bit crowded in the battery compartment, but hopefully no need to take the panels off again to add accessories in future.

Fred

TheEnglishman

I'm intending to have my panels off once only.

I admire your optimism.  However, unless you have tiny 'go go gadget' arms/hands you'll have them off many times when you're farkling around adding stuff.

fred_jb

I admire your optimism.  However, unless you have tiny 'go go gadget' arms/hands you'll have them off many times when you're farkling around adding stuff.

Well maybe it is a bit optimistic!

However, I have managed to thread one cable through to the battery compartment without even taking off the panels - that was to take power to my top box which has an alarm and electronic locking. As for the other electrical stuff I want, it is all located at the front of the bike and I have already found that there is a suitable gap beside the frame tubes which makes it fairly easy to bring wires up into the battery compartment from below on either side of the bike, so this seems like a sensible location to centralise all my add-on wiring, rather than under the left side panel which is the standard location.

It is fairly easy to remove the frunk lid to make access to the battery compartment area easier.  I've already fitted a DC socket, USB charger and voltmeter into the battery compartment door in the frunk using the recess where the toolkit used to live.   These will be linked up to a switched supply with enough spare cable to allow the door to be opened and with a waterproof connector so that the door can be unplugged and taken out completely if required.  I intend to put an un-switched DC socket for charging, etc, in the place where the standard Honda one gets fitted normally.

Fred

• Like 1
Guest chicken george

If it helps, this is where the Optional connector is stowed... The right hand circle is where it started and the left is connected to the harness.

left%2Bside%2Boff.jpeg

Edited by chicken george
  • 1 year later...
Callisidrin

Stripped out a load of stuff today from my S so took some photos of the Connector location, see the link below

Guest sicknoteskier

If the sub harness has been fitted for heated grips then there should be a fuse and relay fitted as per the instructions. However the relay kit is separate to either the heated grips or the harness. 

Happy to send the instructions for fitting the heated grips which will show the relay fitted and how the grips are connected to the sub harness or click here and have a look yourself.

http://cssportal.css-club.net/honda/MCA/ei9998.aspx

hope that helps