battery charging

roperk

hello everyone,I had a honda 12v outlet fitted to my 750s by the dealer when new,is it possible to charge my battery

through this connector or should I  connect straight to the battery terminals? I have a optimate 4 charger.

It depends how the socket has been wired. If it's the Honda socket, correctly fitted using the sub harness and relay then it's switched off when the ignition is switched off. Similarly if he's taken a live feed from any other switched source it won't work for charging.

If it's been wired directly to the battery then it will be constantly live and you can use it - but be careful not to leave anything plugged in and drawing current when you switch the bike off.

thanks chris,I think I will just connect direct to the battery terminals.

bikerbampi

Yes best to get a connector for the optimate fitted direct to the battery to be safe.

Guest bonekicker

Kevin you just answered you own question-- I did the very same by fitting it direct to battery, you may need slightly longer battery bolts if you put on more terminals.

And dont forget to mark all these extra wires it will save a lot of head scratching. I use a Brother labeling machine.  

MikeBike

robson, is that you?

There was a thread about it before, and to cut a long story short he was advised it may or may not work depending on how it was wired, tried it and an in-line fuse buried deep behind the side panels went pop.

thanks for the all the comments,I  have just finished charging the battery using a connector supplied with the charger which bolts onto the battery posts,the existing bolt lengths were fine. I am going to leave the connector permanently fitted to the battery and just plug in when I need to charge

it.

• 1 month later...

Here's a possibly stupid question...

Where the heck IS the battery?

On all the bikes I've had before, it's been under the seat and that space is full of fuel.

Needing to fit the fly lead for an Optimate as above.

Access the battery via the frunk - it's behind the cover at the front.

Colin

Normsthename

I have a third Party accessory Socket fitted to my NC and I have the optional Plug on the Optimate.

i just plug it straight into the socket to charge it :)

Andy

Thanks Colin.

I suppose that makes sense.

Now what's the betting the Optimate lead is too short to get to somewhere sensible?

All done. Fed the cable up from the left frame tube, into the bottom of the battery space. The cable just about reaches when I managed to squeeze the fuse holder through between the body panel and loom. Got sore fingers though :(