NC700D won't change out of 1st gear

Guest PW63
Go to solution Solved by Guest PW63,

Got to work OK this morning, but coming back was stuck in 1st gear all the way. Stopped and tried switching ignition off and on again but to no avail. Manual gear selection had no effect. Also the ABS light isn't going out.

According to the owner's handbook I need to take it back to the dealer (it's over 2 years old now so out of warranty).

Just wondered if anyone out there has had the same problem and if so what was the outcome and the cost?

There was another thread earlier , he had his shipped back to the dealer and it was a phantom fix , they said they just did some test and it fixed itsself ?

I know this doesn't help , but you might see thread and pm him. Hope it's not a drama as I've two the blighters , dct that is

Sounds like an ABS signal fault. I suspect it isn't seeing the front wheel speed signal at a guess.

Normally if you try putting it in gear on the centre stand it will engage 1st but won't change up when revved because it sees the wheel speeds as different (front is stationary). This is how it's supposed to work, it allows you to check the gear selection while on the stand but it won't let you rev it through the gears (very risky on the stand).

I'd look at the front ABS sensor/ring as a start. No chance of anyone bu88ering about with it while you're at work I suppose?

• Like 2

i hope its like my problem when it wouldn't get into any gear and the Dealer just took things out and put it back again and it fixed itself, hope you get it sorted let us know how you get on.....

Have you tried to disconnect battery and charge it overnight not connected to bike?

Guest bonekicker

Patrick do follow some of the suggestions and look further into forum if they don't fix your problem--it's a bummer being just out of warranty but ring dealer and ask for advice if he is a good dealer he will help you without charging. :hmm:

It's time to start learning how to maintain your bike, you can do all the basic stuff--and problems like you are having sometimes are a quick fix-- like press this then that sort of thing. :thumbsup:

Please let us know how you go on and good luck  :D

Never Never Give Up. :no:

Huskyteer

I currently have a stuck-in-gear Integra (flashing dash in the gear indicator panel) at the dealer's:

http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/7142-another-dct-stuck-in-gear/page-2

Seems to be a rash of these problems at the moment, so I do wonder if it's to do with the cold weather and battery/heated grips/similar? (I had my battery replaced to no effect, but apparently it was very knackered, so maybe the system needs a reset after coping with low power.)

• Solution

Turns out that the front ABS sensor disk was bent (no idea how this happened - as I said I rode it to work without problems, maybe someone did tamper with it as embee suggests). Anyway the dealer advised that in order for the gear changes to work on the Integra, both front and rear ABS needs to be working. I think this is bad design on Honda's part - at least you should be able to select gears manually. Try a 12 mile journey in 1st gear and you'll see what I mean.

Incidentally bonekicker I am fairly handy when it comes to mechanics: I can change brake pads and adjust the chain, fit accessories etc. Just that in this case the complexity of the machine (and the inaccessibility due to the fairings) and the lack of a proper service manual left me flummoxed. I'm now wondering whether to trade the Integra in for something a bit easier to work on, having already had one hefty bill for a new chain and sprocket set after only 12,000 miles (despite having regularly cleaned and oiled the chain).

Anyway thanks everyone for your advice.

Glad it's sorted.

Like so many things today, manufacturers have to build in the maximum safety protocols, otherwise someone somewhere will do something and get hurt, then blame the manufacturer because they shouldn't have been able to do it. Try selling vehicles in the USA and see what product liability is all about.

At least you did have a "limp home" mode, which is what they always try to provide. Could have been worse.

I got the full Honda workshop manual from my dealer when I bought the bike. Maybe your dealer will be just as accommodating... The 700 Integra manual is available (aftermarket one). I asked the author about the 750 version. He said he would need a 750 Integra to do one, so unless I was willing to land him mine, it would not happen.

You could get the 700 manual (Google IS your friend in this instance) and ask you dealer for the 750 supplement only if they are not willing to hand over the full manual. You guys have so many dealers over there, one surely would help you out.