Fit heated grips

curious1

While taking the plastic bits of my NC to fit heated grips I found at the bottom of the helmet compartment a multi pin plug inserted to connect to NOTHING.

Would anybody know the purpose of this plug?

It's just my curiousity hunger asking.

Cheers

Alf

Guest bonekicker

Alf If it was connected to nothing it may be someone just left it in by mistake--it could be a lead the mechanic uses to connect computer to bike--can you put a photo on here so someone would be able to tell you more ?? :thumbsup:

Hi Alf, are you sure its not the 6 pin sub harness connector that you found? On the "S" it is on the R/H side of the bike (and on the left if its an "X") and it is normaly inserted into a square shaped plastic holder on the under side of the helmet compartment.

I like to answer both reply's together. I dont know what a sub harness connecter means and I hope the NC does not have a computer either. This are dangeros things to have on a bike. My friend got stuck with his MV Agusta in the middle of now-where with a computer fault. Rather expensive event.

I hope the pictures can shed some light on the purbose of this connector.

Cheers

Alf

It does sound like the sub harness connector. If so it's nothing to worry about. It's basically a spare connector on the main loom to which you can add an optional small wiring harness (costs about 30 GBP including the switching relay and fuse) which then gives 4 ignition controlled take offs for accessories such as heated grips, sat nav, auxilliary lights etc.

It's a useful addition by Honda as it saves people having to butcher the original wiring. Why they couldn't include it as standard is anyone's guess.

Colin 

Thank you. This is very helpful to know. I went with the heated grips straight to the batterie with a fuse. The Oxford grips have some logic to go to sleep if engine is stopped. Very smart.

Alf