Replacement Brake Discs

Guest Bill the Cat

Guest Bill the Cat

Will have to think about replacing the brake discs sometime this year and am after recommendations for non-Honda items. Anyone have a recommendation with part numbers etc or website links? Mine's a 700X ABS.

Thanks in advance.

Guest bonekicker

If your bike is still under warranty I would suggest you fit the Honda Originals-- if not be careful there was a post not long ago about non Honda pads being bad.

The Brakes could be the only thing to save your life-- don't save money to risk it !!! I am all for saving money but not at this expense  :frantics:

Ride Safe and Enjoy Yourself :D

You could get in touch with http://www.allbikeengineering.co.uk/contact.php an ask if they do the ABS version. They have the non-ABS disc advertised on an auction site, but note that the ABS one has the lugs relieved to accept the ABS rotor underneath. I haven't used them but I've heard all good reports, so you must make your own mind up about them as a supplier.

Will have to think about replacing the brake discs sometime this year and am after recommendations for non-Honda items. Anyone have a recommendation with part numbers etc or website links? Mine's a 700X ABS.

Thanks in advance.

That must be some decent mileage, especially if front & rear, out of curiousity, what miles do you think they will need replacing at?

Edited by Trev
Guest Bill the Cat

Thanks for the replies.

Bonekicker, good advice but it is the discs I will need to replace and the Honda ones seem a tad overpriced.

Embee thanks for the link. I knew of ABE but don't know anyone that has used their products. Good to know that you have only heard good reports, I will contact them.

Trev I'd estimate they may need changing at 30-35000 miles. Probably has a lot to do with me using the bike in London a lot. Stop/start, accelerate for the gap type riding. The rear gets a lot of use for low speed control and with it being linked is wearing the front too. 

I've used ABE in the past and never had a problem. It would be good if they did discs for the ABS models as I suspect that the £65 non ABS front disc they do is a fair bit cheaper than the Honda equivalent.

Colin

Trev I'd estimate they may need changing at 30-35000 miles. Probably has a lot to do with me using the bike in London a lot. Stop/start, accelerate for the gap type riding. The rear gets a lot of use for low speed control and with it being linked is wearing the front too. 

Thanks Bill, doesn't sound too bad given the mileage and your type of usage, gives me an idea when I may have to change mine although I would hope to get a little longer as not a city commuter. I agree on the bake brake, I use mine a huge amount as so much feel and the ABS gives me peace of mind.

Rocker66

Sue used Galpfer discs on her previous Hornet with excellent results. I don't know if they do replacements for the NC though

Guest Bill the Cat

I had a reply from ABE quoting £65 per disc. I made sure to put that mine was the ABS model when asking for the quote.

If that quote from ABE is correct for the ABS model disc then that's great news.

Colin

• Like 1