• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike5100

• Rocker66

• Rev Ken

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Matt, as someone who's bike has to stay outside all year round, I also cannot rate this product highly enough. I probably apply it a bit TOO liberally, and yeah, don't get it on your brake pads, cr

Rev Ken

Lovely! Ordered a can of ACF-50 from that auction site.co.uk since we have no importer of the stuff here in Denmark.

Now it got "caught" in customs - since it might have an "illegal" substance in it... Crazy.

So now I need to find some other alternative. Grr...

How weird! ACF50 is a well known product used widely in many countries - I wonder what their worry is..... :frantics:

Guest Nogin

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I hate that stuff it just messes the bike up big time. Firstly its a Honda it wont rust like a Suzuki. Secondly don't get ACF anywhere near you brake discs or you'll be paying out for new discs and pads.

I've only use it once and never again. I just like to clean the bike on a regular basis,

Rev Ken

I hate that stuff it just messes the bike up big time. Firstly its a Honda it wont rust like a Suzuki. Secondly don't get ACF anywhere near you brake discs or you'll be paying out for new discs and pads.

I've only use it once and never again. I just like to clean the bike on a regular basis,

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees - well I get my bike done 'professionally' every year, and throw a bucket of water at it when I can't see what colour it ought to be. ACF50 does the trick for me - but agree - don't let it get at your discs or pads - but then who would??????

Guest Nogin

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees - well I get my bike done 'professionally' every year, and throw a bucket of water at it when I can't see what colour it ought to be. ACF50 does the trick for me - but agree - don't let it get at your discs or pads - but then who would??????

My idiot mate coated his bike in it and then went for a spin and binned it because it had no brakes at all.

I appreciate it does a good job repelling water, but there are not may things to rust on a modern bike, probably only the swing arm and the forks.

I would consider removing the swing arm and getting it powder coated if the rust looks like its going to be that bad.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gunshot72

Nogin, it's not just for preventing rust. It's protects electrical connections, lubes cables, can be sprayed into the gaps of electricals controls on your bars, protects plastic and rubber hoses. Like all lubes don't get on tyres or brake components. I regularly put some in a spray can connected to my compresser, cover the tyres and discs in cling film and high pressure spray the entire frame, engine and electricals.

Rocker66

Thats ok if you can clean the bike after every winter ride but if like me you often get home from a 12 hour shift + 50 minute ride home at 02:00 then this is not really practical . For me ACF50 rules

Rev Ken

Lets face it ACF50 is used to stop corrosion on aircraft, which is a very hostile environment - so I for one am VERY happy to spray it everywhere - except on tyres and brake components of course!! :D

• 2 months later...

If concerned about contamination of brake discs when spraying, simply wipe discs clean afterwards with a rag/kitchen paper.

(rags are best - a good use for old tatty socks etc).

I usually use a dab of white spirit on the cloth, then wipe a second time with a clean cloth.

Rocker66

I usually cover the brakes before spraying and then wipe them afterwards just to be on the safe side

Mike5100

I am a huge fan of ACF50 (in fact my NC700 is being professionally treated with it on Tuesday before it even goes on the road.

But I never spray ACF 50 on, as it always ends up too much. So I spray into the lid then use a paintbrush to dab it on to any raw metal (bolt heads in particular). That way you can avoid getting it on brakes, although I have to say that when I used to spray it, I got it on discs and pads quite often and it burns off very quickly - within a couple of applications of the brakes.

Mike

anyone that can't wash or don't want to clean the bike that often... or live in 15 miles radius from the coast or live in a heavily congested areas of city or close to big motorways... or industrial areas ... (wich is almost everywhere in the UK) even if they only ride in the dry and keep the bike under a roof

should be using some sort of anticorrosion treatment... and ACF50 is one of the best outhere ...

Guest turbodieseli4i6

Thanks for posting this AFC-50 thread! I use WD40 a lot for a water displacement and cleaning, but I don't use it as a protectant.

I have seen guys use WD too clean firearms and when they pull them they sometimes have surface rust on them.

Guest Lockon2

Hi Fishmanboy

I have been using the Scottoiler 365 for many years now, have it in a 5ltr container and use a small hand spray to apply to bike. It does the same job and puts a film over the bike parts to protect from salt etc, also it not only protects it also neutralises salts that can attack the metals.

I ride my bikes all year round and used it on a Harley Ultra Glide a couple of years ago which is not the easiest bike to look after in winter and had no problems with corrosion or furring of any bolts etc, just used the rinse bike down a few times through the winter and reapply the 365.

I am hopefull That the paint on the NC will last a little longer than on other bikers

I gave mine a clean at 3 k and it came up like new. Probably too early to tell though

I use both ACF and FS365. The ACF stuff seems a bit thicker/stickier and is consequently more difficult to wash off. I'd recommend ACF for the depths of winter, when there is salt on the the road and FS365 if you wash your bike a lot and for the rest of the year. I find the FS365 easier to apply but I suspect (sorry no proof) ACF is better at beating corrosion. I prefer FS365 because I'm a bit lazy :twitch:

Edited by beep
Mike5100

Steve - there's some great info about AF50 on allyearbiker site. If the blurb can be believed it's a lot easier to apply than you would think because it creeps and you only need a one molecule thick layer to provide complete protection.

They told me that they never use the spray cans, preferring instead to have a permanently dampened cloth (in a sealed plastic bag), and they just periodically wipe this over exposed areas. They do of course use a misting spray for their once-a-year treatment. but what goes in their spray system does not seem claggy like the stuff in the cans

Mike

Guest Big Den

I ride year round in all weather so I've bought a can of ACF-50.

My question is can this spray be used on the entire bike, like the exhaust for example. I know you need to avoid the breaks and discs.

Cheers

Matt

This is great stuff mate. You can use it nearly everywhere but keep away from brake pads, rotors and tyres. Exhaust is fine but it will leave a greasy film on the NC's shiny exhaust surface so will need wiping down. I use ACF50 on all my bikes and I now even buy it in 1 litre containers and apply it with a paint gun and compressor.

I do the same pre-winter and just rinse off with water during the winter and touch up any areas that look like they are suffering, they use a salt brine round here in winter and its as good as acid on metal, buy it by the litre and a few cans. Leave it on till the salt has gone then give the bike a good clean with sdoc and under the shite is a new bike again :D WD will evaporate and the scotoiler stuff is water based so will wash off, i will use the scotoil stuff for a quick fix and same with WD but ACF is in a different league, one of the 2 best products on the market for keeping the bike in top condition the other being S doc100 cleaner which also leaves an anti corrosion film after use.

By the way i have an issue with corrosion and rust :drool:

• 1 month later...
Guest matt_bex

Finally got round to applying to my bike. Bloody messy stuff! But was surprised how new it made the bike look as well as physically looking like a protected layer on the metal. Oh and started it to burn off any excess around the exhaust and I thought it was on fire but only lasted a few minutes.

All in all didn't take to long to apply and yes was a bit messy but if it works as well as everyone says then I can handle that.

Guest Crusty

I've booked the all year biker service / treatment for the 20th of this month at the event at Sudbury, in Suffolk.

My new bike (which I pick up on saturday :drool: ) will have to live outside, albeit under a cover, and be used throughout the year. I thought 60 quid was good value for money, especially as it gets rave reviews for the protection it gives.

Guest Alien Mind

Hey Ian - I'm booked in there too, see you there. Make sure your bike is as dirty as can be, as they do an amazing job of cleaning it too!

Guest Alien Mind

that's seriously early... I'm at 1.30 so i guess you'll be long gone on a sparkling clean bike and perhaps with some goodies in the no tank..

I ride 20,000 miles per year and keep my bike outside so I am quite particular on how I look after my bike and attempt to keep it in as good as condition as possible for what its worth this is what I do:

After each ride let it cool down and then cold rinse it off with the hose using a bit of muck off.

I use an oil base spray called dp60 as opposed to water based wd40 for general everyday use.

ACF50 is the dogs whats its when it comes to keeping corrosion at bay and protecting the bike, its a must have product in my opinion and worth the £14 per can. Keep it off brakes though.Its a brilliant lubricant as well and has a creep effect so gets into all the crooks and crannies