ACF-50 spray

Guest matt_bex

Guest matt_bex

I ride year round in all weather so I've bought a can of ACF-50.

My question is can this spray be used on the entire bike, like the exhaust for example. I know you need to avoid the breaks and discs.

Cheers

Matt

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocker66

• Mike5100

• Rev Ken

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Matt, as someone who's bike has to stay outside all year round, I also cannot rate this product highly enough. I probably apply it a bit TOO liberally, and yeah, don't get it on your brake pads, cr

Guest ex-member

My question is can this spray be used on the entire bike, like the exhaust for example. I know you need to avoid the breaks and discs.

Cheers

Matt

You mean this: Link ?

I would not spray something ALL OVER the whole bike.

I am unfamiliar with this chemical, and I do not endorse it.

What I would do is to ensure the bike is always reasonably washed.

All greased parts are greased with GREASE.

All chrome parts are buffed with a Chrome paste , sav every 6 months.

All metal exposed parts are sprayed with a little anti-rush remover thing, like WD-40.

And...this is a bike. Not a space shuttle.

Ride to enjoy. Not ride to wash bike and worry worry worry...

Stay cool...

Guest steveR

I am not a year round rider so never really needed to use this product, but I know several lads on the xrv forum who rate this product very highly for all the metal work. Cases, frame etc, not exhausts though, good on contacts for a Garmin Zumo too! :) I did use the product on dirt bikes ages ago, but found it was not really ideal as I was power washing pretty regularly after trail riding every weekend....

SwissNC, don't forget that here in the UK, vast amounts of salt are put on our roads every winter that is perfect for rotting and oxidising all metalwork on your bike! :(

Rocker66

As someone who has to use their bikes all year round Sue & I can really recommend this product. You need to do it after each wash though. As I often get home from work in the early hours of the morning the bikes don't get washed after every ride on salted roads as they should. My deauvile went through 3 bad winters with no real problems thanks to this product

Guest Steve

Hi Matt, as someone who's bike has to stay outside all year round, I also cannot rate this product highly enough. I probably apply it a bit TOO liberally, and yeah, don't get it on your brake pads, crikey, makes for an interesting ride the next day :logik:

• Like 1
Guest Tumbleweed

I ride all year round and use ACF50 on a regular basis. Always found it works well on metal and electical parts. Just smokes on the exhaust and burns off.

Rocker66

No it is protector designed for the aircraft industry. Just google it

Guest gunshot72

Cheers

Matt

This is great stuff mate. You can use it nearly everywhere but keep away from brake pads, rotors and tyres. Exhaust is fine but it will leave a greasy film on the NC's shiny exhaust surface so will need wiping down. I use ACF50 on all my bikes and I now even buy it in 1 litre containers and apply it with a paint gun and compressor.

Guest Holliday

well, I dont spray my bike at all. Here in Germany the roads are not nearly as salty in wintertime, ( only if it has snowed ) and i dont ride in snow anyway, so a good rinse once a week is good enough.

Guest ex-member

I am in mixed mind about this. Although I know the benefits of spraying something for protection, I am also aware of the downsides.

So, I am going to just wash the bike when I do go out in the rain or salty roads (I never drive in Winter, so it's ok).

Thanks for the info, all!

Guest bongo

thing is magical highly recomended the small spray can last a long timeone got two winters out of one can and still have plenty. Even if you just spray it and buff it with a clean cloth the thing will protect for a long time.

Guest sensible_rider

In my own experience with this product, it does the job very well. The job of protecting metal parts (exhaust too) from the elements. BUT this thing is messy, make sure you spray somewhere where you do not care about the subsequent stains on the floor!

Rocker66

In my own experience with this product, it does the job very well. The job of protecting metal parts (exhaust too) from the elements. BUT this thing is messy, make sure you spray somewhere where you do not care about the subsequent stains on the floor!

Or simply lay old newspaper on the floorv before spraying

Fishmanboy

i use the Scottoiler FS365 Corrosion Protector as it was recommended to me by a guy in the shop. Jury is still out on it though as my bike had already had the brunt of winter thrown at it so might have been a bit late to see the real results (plus it is a Suzuki so they rust really easy anyway). It seems rather thin though so almost feels like all the protection runs off as soon as you apply it. I doubt this is the case, but thats just what it feels like lol

Anyone else got any feedback on the FS365?

Guest sensible_rider

Is this common knowledge, the fact that Suzuki's rust easily?. How do hondas fare in the UK weather?. My steed sleeps outdoors, I usually cover it, but the stand is in contact with the wet tarmac. Any advise on how to prevent rust is welcome.

Guest gunshot72

Is this common knowledge, the fact that Suzuki's rust easily?. How do hondas fare in the UK weather?. My steed sleeps outdoors, I usually cover it, but the stand is in contact with the wet tarmac. Any advise on how to prevent rust is welcome.

Suzuki's were more susceptible in the past because the metal parts were not of the same standard as Honda's. Suzuki's always had thinner fairing plastics and shallower paint layers than Honda as well. These facts just added up over time and that meant that most people accepted that Honda's were simply better finished than Suzukis. While most is true, Suzukis can still last a long time if treated well, like most other bikes including Hondas. Certainly it is said that Suzuki engines and gearboxes are very well made, it's just the stuff on the outside which is not quite as good as some other Jap marques. The use of Stainless and better anodising seems to be the case with Hondas.

With regard to corrosion all bikes of all types melt within one year of being ridden on our roads! :ike: Seriously, it's not falling rain water that kills bike parts, it's the combination of rain water mixed with an ever increasing amount of road salt used every year in the UK. Salty, gritty rain water. It's so bad that I have to totally degrease my chain, front and rear sprockets, underside of chain guard at least 5 times per Winter just to get the grit out that has bedded itself into stray chain lube.

Usually by April with the heavy rains that arrive it's all washed away down the drains so the Summer roads are fine. But come late November and the local councils hit the panic button and deploy a Star Wars sized fleet of gritter trucks to spread what can only be described as Sulphuric Acid onto our road network. I'm thinking of suing them for damages!

Edited by gunshot72
Guest bongo

http://www.worldstainless.org/ISSF/Files/ISSF%20The%20Salt%20Spray%20Test%20and%20its%20use%20in%20ranking%20stainless%20steels.pdf

bed time story on rust and testing. The UK is a wind and rain battered Island conditions are ideal to some extent like a huge mild salt spray chamber . . Exposure time to this conditions is a huge factor as well. so the thiner the paint or chrome the less time it will take to start hapening... thick paint/chrome will last longer specially if it is evenly all over the metal surface... ACF50 and other rust protections product work in this matter ACF50 is just better at it

Guest bongo

just before the winter I wash my bike dry it well , them apply ACF50 like there is not tomorrow. that first layer is the base for the winter. during the winter I hose the bike with cold water every few days (once a week really) once dry i apply ACF50 on the underbelly or on any trouble spot . I know guys that don't even wash the bikes they just apply ACF50 over the dirt and grime ... come sumer they wash and are done...