oil

Guest ram5

May have posted this before not sure, there is a plastic pipe near the rad mine keeps filling up with oil any one else and do you know why is doing it cheers

Guest bonekicker

Rob I must say I have not heard of that before--But there's always a first time--is it clean oil--engine oil? There Jonathan knows--have a try at this--if it still fills up with oil come back and we will have another go-

Edited by bonekicker
Rocker66

Oil level fine first out of about 20 or so bikes I've had has done this.should I contact the dealer

If there is something your not happy about it's always a good idea to have a word with the dealer  even if it is just for peace of mind. At least you have a trustworthy dealer very near to you

embee

Depends what you mean by "filling up".

There are additives (like zinc and phosphorus) in engine oil which cause deterioration in catalyst performance, so oil consumption is kept as low as possible. The reason the tube is there is so that some of the oil carried over in the breather system (inevitably some gets through despite the best efforts at separation) can be caught and drained away rather than being taken into the intake and then burnt where it will contribute to catalyst deterioration. I guess Honda haven't designed an auto drainback arrangement either because it isn't practical or they are working on the principle that by the time it gets collected up there it can contain condensation etc and so is best kept out of the engine, whatever the reason that's what they've done and they say drain the tube periodically.

I find it looks more than it really is because of the plug in the end and the lens effect of the plastic tube. When it gets to 10 or 15mm or so it looks like a lot, but when you drain it out it's only a dozen drops or so. Honda wouldn't have it there if it wasn't supposed to collect some oil, so it's normal up to a point.

How much oil are you seeing? I know in 2500mls of touring holiday mine collected about 15mm in the tube, that seems fine to me.

mine filled up to about an inch once after very long fast hard ride against the wind..ive had virtually nothing in 30000 miles since then.

trisaki

Check oil level bike upright cold unscrew dipstick wipe clean insert but don't screw in take out and check level / all before starting engine / close to max is fine

RussB644

Hi Rob, would be interested to hear more about your findings and anything the dealer says....