Does WD40 harm your chain

tc3

Interesting post but amazed that someone went to all that effort to find out, impressive though. Good to see to WD40 doe not seem to effect the o-rings or links as I've been using the stuff on chains for over 30 years :ahappy:

Guest bonekicker

This just confirm's to all the doubting Thomas's that wd40 will not only keep your chain from rusting and lubricate-- it cleans as well--and will not damage 'O' rings. :baby:

My NC I part exchanged-- the chain was like new. :baby:

Roy you snecked in again--Little Snecker !!!!

Edited by bonekicker
Guest Southerner

Wow - that's some test.

Like others, have used WD-40 to clean and lube my bike chains. However, I just use it to clean these days and then follow up with WD-40 chain lube which goes on really well. 

I've always used WD40 for cleaning the chain, but not lubricating.

I think I'll give it a try after spending an hour cleaning all the chain grease from inside the chain guard.

It was 5mm thick in places!

Guest bonekicker

The chain lube are too thick and sticky--oilers are the same--put some dirty cloths on floor for drips--bike on centre stand--cover tyre and disc brakes slowly turn wheel and spray wd40 --or better wd40 in liquid and add some engine oil and shake each time you use it--I do this ever time I get back from ride takes 5 mins. :bye:

Exceledsteve

Standard WD40 is very thin and gets flung off quickly. It's great if you religiously oil the chain all the time though. you could eat your dinner off it then. Don't add salt though if you do.

Thanks for the adding oil tip Michael.

I know it's best practise to lube the chain after the bike has been ridden.

The chain will be warm so it helps the lube get into the nooks and crannies.

I prefer to do it that way.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peterpoddy

Personally I wouldn't put WD40 anywhere near a chain. It's a better solvent than a lubricant and will wash any proper lube out. There's nothing better than a decent chain oiler IME.

5 minutes after every ride? Don't ride very often then I take it? That would be 50 minutes a week for me! :)

I expect the point I am about to make may have been made somewhere in the eight pages of posts to the original article, so I make no claims to originality (but I do not have the time to read through eight pages of posts and nor, I suspect, do most Forum members).

This test is very limited.  Exposure to WD40 was only for 24 hours.  Other factors, such as heat and sunlight, were not included.  Further, and surely importantly, the test did not cover the possible effect of the washing out of existing chain lubricants.

For these reasons would be very wary of drawing any conclusions.

I think there are chain quality control issues at the manufacturing stage that affect chain life more than any care you may or may not do,its anecdotal as I really havnt had enough chains from same manufacturer but I've had some wildly different chain lifes

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pipjam

Michael?

What's your opinion cleaning the chain with Gunk, hose down and spray with WD40 to remove the residue moisture then spray on Mucoff Chain lube?

I would enjoy your comments

Guest Pipjam

But not if you add some oil in the mixture :bye:

Michael?

What's your opinion cleaning the chain with Gunk, hose down and spray with WD40 to remove the residue moisture then spray on Mucoff Chain lube?

I would enjoy your comments

embee

Have a look here for a test looking at WD40 and O rings. If it has already been posted then apologies...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345397

At least the guy had a good stab at deciding for himself the O-ring properties, despite some folks' criticisms.

All he really needed to do was look at a material compatibility table like http://www.columbiaerd.com/materials.html . I'd put a fiver on chain O-rings being NBR (Nitrile), that's the most common and cost effective material for oil/grease exposure at relatively low temps (<100C) with good abrasion resistance. His results with swell in gasoline etc would tend to support this guess. You do need to be careful with other O-rings intended for water/coolant or brake fluid, they are often EPDM which doesn't like oil/grease/gasoline.

Chain manufacturers will use materials compatible with oil/grease for something you are recommended to oil/grease. WD40 is essentially a white spirit with some mineral oil content I believe, so will be fine for compatibility with NBR. Whether it is a good cleaner/lube is another issue and one I'll not comment on.

michael

Personally, I prefer a  heavier lubricant but if someone is having success by routinely maintaining their chain with a product, then by all means, maintain and enjoy that product. Best to have *some* attention rather than no attention, that poor chain.

From wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

Due to its lightness (i.e., low viscosity), WD-40 is not always the preferred oil for certain applications. Applications that require higher viscosity oils may use motor oils, while those requiring a mid-range oil could use honing oil.[6]

embee

Personally, I prefer a  heavier lubricant but if someone is having success by routinely maintaining their chain with a product, then by all means, maintain and enjoy that product. Best to have *some* attention rather than no attention, that poor chain.

From wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

Due to its lightness (i.e., low viscosity), WD-40 is not always the preferred oil for certain applications. Applications that require higher viscosity oils may use motor oils, while those requiring a mid-range oil could use honing oil.[6]

Interesting. So as said, essentially it's white spirit (of a type, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_spirit ) plus some mineral oil  and fragrance added to taste.

michael

I like the term used, a "light," lubricant.

I might be convinced to use it as a squeak inhibitor, yet personally, prefer something with more "lubricating," credentials for an exposed chain environment.

Regardless of what it does, or does not do, to o or x ring seals.

But that's me.

I'll also admit to using Honda brand oil (petroleum based, not synthetic) as well, which apparently has been know to initiate all sorts of spirited debates! :angel: